View Single Post
11-20-13, 04:06 PM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
By default, WoW has two maps: the large map and the minimap. They are completely different entities, and have different APIs. The Carbonite map is a replacement for the large Blizzard map. It has nothing to do, directly, with the minimap. It does have a "minimized" view, and therein, I think, lies the confusion. The minimized Carbonite map is not the minimap, nor is it a replacement for the minimap. In particular it does not use the minimap api - it uses the large map api, even when minimized. I think, but am not certain, that one thing it does do is to supress some icons (when minimized) simply to keep down the clutter.
Thank you, Chmee, for replying. At least you replied! Your explanation of the naming of the various maps and their individual functioning sounds good to me.

From my point of view, I believe you reiterated the primary point I have been making all along. Additionally, you pointed out that "some" of the icons might be suppresed to avoid clutter.

I've never mentioned this before, but here's the main reason I've been pursuing this/these map issues. While I'm playing the game, I nearly always have the Carbonite minimized view open on my screen. It's what I look at when following waypoints or spotting a host of other POI locations. It is much easier than opening Carbonite's larger view which covers most of my display.

Carbonite no longer displays certain things on either of its two map views (ex. Repair npc's), and Blizzard's Mini Map also has a number of missing Repair npc's as well as other things, like Flightmaster icons, and more.

You said in reference to Carbonite's minimized view:
"In particular it does not use the (Blizzard) minimap api - it uses the large map api, even when minimized."
-- [Note: I inserted the (Blizzard) for clarification.]

So, I'm wondering if a Carbonite addon author 'could' allow users a check-box method to include one or more of those "supressed icons" (the ones which already appear on Blizzard's Mini Map)? If so, then users could update their own lua files when necessary, if some icons are missing or in the wrong locations. That way, what seems like clutter to some people may be a valuable asset to others who prefer seeing what Blizzard's Mini Map (normally) shows.

Last edited by Kreelor : 11-21-13 at 06:23 PM. Reason: changed wording from "of its two maps" to "of its two map views"