View Single Post
10-06-08, 03:11 PM   #11
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by richerich View Post
Well, i do recall that if you find a mod you're searching for, lets say "chat"... it will display every addon that has "chat" in its name... you download the one that suits your needs, you try it out and then you either say its crap or its ****ing unbelievable good.

And then some day, you find a bug. You want it examined and post the error log... what do you do?
You use your friendly site Google.com for the mod and find a site where you can post feedbacks and logs.

I know i do it on the mods im using (except for those that hasnt been updated for a while) and in that case, WoWMatrix is a good way to see what kind of addons there are out there, since many ppl dont wanna go on multiple sites, just to find that specific addon to update or find.

So in that mean, i'd say both the authors and those that hosts WoWMatrix is getting benefits from the "deal". Even the users gets benefited, since they get a easy way to find the mod they wanna use.

So who cares if they make a little money of it, no one forces them to host it.

The point is (A) redistributing these without the original authors permission is illegal. Period. It doesn't matter that they remove it at the authors request, providing it on their service in the first place WAS illegal. (B) Using other sites bandwidth is EXTREMELY bad netiquette. I don't know if there are laws about it or not, but all the same its a major no no. Sites like WoWI get the money to pay for their bandwidth through advertising. When tools like WoWMatrix use that bandwidth without showing the ADs, they are LITERALLY stealing money from the legit site.