Thread: The 1.4 list
View Single Post
01-11-10, 03:31 AM   #3
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Considering that I override almost everything oUF does on health/power updates, I'd argue in favor of not removing the overrides, if for no reason other than to save CPU cycles by not doing everything twice.
On both health and power, not setting any of the color* flags will be the same as overriding. The current solution would most likely save CPU compared to not having a override also, so that's not really the concern.

I've also used an override on the threat update function to color my frame's border instead of setting a texture color... with the small hack of creating a table with empty functions to mimic a texture object so oUF doesn't complain when it tries to :SetVertexColor on it.
There's always tricks such as:
if self.Threat is a frame: self.Threat.SetVertexColor = self.Threat.SetBackdropBorderColor

The override on .Threat is one of those I wanted to remove. It basically removes all the functionality of the element, making a simple event registration more sensible to do. I do see how it's convenient to just do self.Threat and override the function tho'.

As for the rest, I'm assuming you meant <element>:PostUpdate?
No, I intentionally left out the call notation on all of those. I'll have to review the arguments on each and everyone of them, and doing :PostUpdate would translate over to: .PostUpdate(element, ...). The problem with this is that you in most cases want to manipulate something else on the frame in these functions.

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone generates a frame though oUF and doesn't want to simultaneously hide the corresponding Blizzard frame. o_O
I have a vague memory of some odd-case scenario, but I do agree with you. Especially true with :Spawn knowing about the party/raid state.

Finally, I'd be happy to help write documentation once things are further along.
The goal with it is mostly to document what behavior the elements in oUF expect and what hooks are available to the author. Pretty much just an extended version of what exists within the files atm.