Thread: Discord Server
View Single Post
12-13-17, 06:59 AM   #19
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I like Discord because of how similar it is to Slack, and has been very beneficial when discussing code on joint projects with other game developers, instead of generating a bunch of pastebin links. The search feature is also a very nice part of the system.

What I find problematic about IRC is mainly how inconvenient it is to use and that you have to be online at all times. Just the other day, I sent Dan some code on IRC pertaining to an in-game bug, but had no idea he even replied because I had to turn my computer off. I just realized he did because of your chat log link, Gnarfoz, but you can't suggest having a public log in basic HTML is the same as having client-native chat history.

An anecdote to contradict my love for Discord though, is that I agree with semlar's sentiment on barrier to entry. I run a Discord network for my largest addon project, and most people just whiz by the FAQ, instructions, help pages and everything else I've invested my time in because they prefer instant, personal support. Often in the wrong channel, too.