Thread: Minion in Wine
View Single Post
10-20-14, 08:21 AM   #6
myrkat
A Defias Bandit

Premium Member
Running Mint 17 KDE, using OpenJDK 7, and I can install the download but cannot point to anything successfully. I have my WoW folder in my home directory (z:\user\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\) and even have that linked into wine's C:\Program Files\ directory. Pointing to either (which is difficult given the holes in the window from the text) just sends me back to the "WoW or ESO" small selection box.

Sometimes RIGHT-CLICKING to select works better than left clicking, but if you're on the text, it will be right-clicking behind (desktop, other window, etc). Very spotty interface overall.

I found the minion.xml file (hidden in wine's drive_c\users\<name>\.minion\) and when viewing it, the addon path was either encrypted or trashed. I replaced it with what I thought it should be (without a trailing \) and when restarting minion, if perpetually locks in the Loading popup.

I have been unsuccessful at getting it to work. I tried executing the Minion-jfx.jar file, but get "This application requires a newer version of the Java runtime. Please download and install the latest Java runtime from java.com. Then restart the application." The "Install Now" button sends me to java.com. I do not use Oracle's java, so I stopped there.

I really miss Wowmatrix, and hope that Minion will be a better replacement. Currently, I have a Oracle VM setup with windows and I run that to get Curse (which can point to my home directory via z:\...) and update my addons that way. it's somewhat a hassle, but easy enough just saving the machine state, etc.
  • Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (only for Xara)