View Single Post
12-11-08, 12:40 PM   #19
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
I'm sorry that you're having so many problems - I'd like to recommend the following, but before I do so, I just want to state that I in no way want to be held responsible for anything that goes wrong. Please do this at your own risk, although in my opinion it's safe.

Step 0: Clean the inside of your PC like recommended already.

Step 1: Download new drivers from ATI/AMDs site - Direct Download link Save them somewhere that you can find them - I usually put them right there on my desktop.

Also go to HERE and download Driver Sweeper. Direct download link You have to click on I Agree for the download to start though.

After drier sweeper is done installing, go ahead and install it. If asked to restart, say NO.

Step 2: Go to your control panel (Start --> Settings --> Control Panel or Start --> Control Panel) Select Add/Remove Programs. Find the ATI things listed... I believe you'll see one that says ATI Control Panel and maybe some other ones - I don't remember everything.

You can also go here and download cat-uninstaller.exe and run that.

If it asks you to restart say NO

Step 3: Go to your device manager: You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

Step 4: click the little + sign next to Display Adapter, RIGHT click your ATI card and select uninstall - do this for everything related to your card here

Step 5: Close everything and restart

Step 6: During restart while your computer is coming back up quickly and repeatedly press F8 - you should be presented with a screen that asks you several ways to Start Widows - I want you to Select "SAFE MODE"

Step 7: After getting into safe mode, everything will look ugly, that's ok. Run Driver Sweeper and make sure to select ATI. If it finds anything go ahead and get rid of it. These are left over parts of drivers on your system.

Step 8: Restart into normal windows

Step 9: Install the drivers you downloaded in Step 1 from AMD/ATIs website. Follow instructions and restart when asked.

Step 10: Like someone else suggested check out your DirectX by going HERE and downloading and running the file. This is from Microsoft's site and requires a verification of windows before it allows you to download it. Since you're running Windows XP you're only able to use DirectX 9 - DirectX 10 is only for Vista unless you used a hacked version, and that's not recommended unless you're a power user. Restart if asked to.

Step 11: Try WOW - If you still are experiencing the problem - Press ESC while in game and Select the Video option. Then choose Effects and move the slider all the way to the left where it says "Low". Everything will look really ugly, but test it out. If you don't have the problems, increase the bar a little bit, rinse and repeat until you find the problem area. You also might want to try turning down settings having to deal w/ Shadows as they can be pretty tedious on a video card sometimes.

If you're still having the problem, then you might be experiencing a more serious problem.

Hope that helps,
vpr