View Single Post
12-10-13, 09:06 AM   #4
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jjforums View Post
Is there any "compiled" file or the addon is the code we have in .lua filess basically?

Thanks.
All Blizzard (WOW) addons are viewable by everyone. The lua code works with images / xml / toc and a few other file formats to work together to form an addon. In essence all the addon code revolves around the LUA and how it interacts with the WOW Client.
  • Please be aware though that Blizzard does have strict policies on WOW Addons. The code must be visible and cannot use obscurification (scramble the code) at all. A few addons in the past were spanked for using this technique. It practically makes the code unreadable and is against the TOS. Sites like WOWInterface and Curse frown upon it as well. (Note this is also called compiling LUA code)
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/obscurification
  • The code cannot request donations or generate revenue at all.

to list a few....

Finally, take note that although an addon may be viewable it may have a licensing agreement attached to it. This may or may not prevent someone from using code or altering code without the authors permission. A lot of the WOW addons don't have licensing attached to it and are freely available to grab code from or modify in any shape or form. There are a few whom have GNU open licenses which allow you to use code and or alter it but also require you to mention the Author when you credit your work.

My advice is just to review the code and check for licensing material.

In practice I always credit any author regardless if they do or don't have a licensing agreement attached to their addon. But that's just me

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }

Last edited by Xruptor : 12-10-13 at 09:14 AM.