View Single Post
07-16-07, 03:50 PM   #9
Balsta
I have to disagree with Kaomie and Noisia a bit on the spell rotation.

First off every spell rotation is situational. Are you in a party? Are you trying for max damage? etc.

Lets start with talents, imho you should be dropping every talent point you have into the shadow tree. Something like this.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...10241103051400

Spirit tap when soloing is kind of useless because we spend too much time inside the Five Second Rule for it to be effective. And yes it does help regen mana between fights but so does a drink and a heck of allot quicker, plus it allows those points to be put into something that effects your combat. Blackout on the other hand gives you a good chance to kill your target before it even gets to you. A SP's job is damage so make sure your build will give you max dmg. Improved VE will only generate another 5 - 10 hp per tick and those points could be used elsewhere as well. Once you real start grouping and doing instances I recommend the threat reduction talent Shadow Affinity but when your soloing you already have all the aggro so why bother.

Now to spell rotation I would never recommend starting with Mind Blast as it will only get you into bad habits when it comes time to start doing instances plus you are not taking full advantage of its damage capabilities.

The bad habit part is when you start with Mindblast you have a chance for a big crit and in a group that is very bad. Can you say instant aggro, dead priest. For the damage part you are missing out on a good 10-15% damage increase from Shadow Weaving and that could be a huge chunk of dps when it crits.

Try to get into the habit of ramping up damage other wise you'll get in the habit of dieing. VE should only be used in a group that has a tank that knows how to hold aggro because your threat per second is going to out pace theirs quickly if they don't know what they are doing.

Try a rotation like this when soloing SW:P, MF, MF again if they still haven't reached you otherwise drop a Fear here, MF to try to limit their range,MB, MF, MF, SW:P if needed,MB etc. Keep in mind you have to be aware of your surroundings before you pop a fear you don't want adds and you want to try to limit the range of their run with terrain if you can. You have to find what works for your play style. Myself I have no problems tossing up a shield and letting them hit me while I drop the final bits of damage. I'll even toss a shield before I start so the cooldown is ready mid fight. Once you get SWeath this all changes again.

As far as www.shadowpriest.com if you didn't find info on talents, gear, spell rotations etc you weren't looking. There are whole sections of the forums dedicated to this stuff.

Take more than 'a bit' and read. Lots and lots to learn from the people on there.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much and I made some sense. I am by no means the best SP out there, but I have been playing mine for quite a long time now. And this train of thought works for me.

Here is my current build

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...10240103051551