View Single Post
07-08-18, 05:45 AM   #19
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
Unless you can measure an actual impact from that, its still not a problem.
You can. Initiate a garbage collection manually and watch your FPS.

Memory usage is not an issue. Having giant tables of data actually saves cpu, especially if you’re not calling things in combat. One fine example of memory/cpu efficiency is Details. In terms of combat FPS, Details clearly, objectively, wins over Skada or Recount.

Memory waste is bad. An occasional wasted object is sloppy but not usually an issue. However, dumping a table every frame is what we call a “memory leak”. Lua’s garbage collection is the least efficient part of the entire implementation. It’s like a garbage inception. You want to avoid it at all costs, but with hundreds of different addon authors, it’s inevitable. A blip in FPS every hour or so is fine, maybe every 30 minutes if I’m running a bunch of addons, but memory leaks trigger one every few minutes, as often as several a minute.

Having Blizzard give you a function that directly generates waste every time you use it for data that several addons want on an OnUpdate resolution is probably the worst thing any Blizzard dev has ever done for this game. It’s atrocious, disgusting, reeks of novice coding. I have enjoyed all the mixin stuff I’ve seen popup over the last few years. Someone on the dev team has lots of love for Lua. I sincerely hope these wasteful issues were an oversight, a bug, or done from someone new that will be fixed by someone senior.