View Single Post
02-20-10, 12:16 PM   #14
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Thank you all so much! The only thing that I'm worried about right now is if my Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will run smoothly or even at all... Hmm, dual booting seems to be the win here!
If you have issues with CD: MW2 and Linux not getting along check out this thread from the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325021

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Another one is this, and it's going to sound silly, but I want to be able to style my desktop easily and so far I don't think that can be done in Windows 7. Past all the "Mac OSX STYLE THEME" there is nothing.
This was posted on the WoWAce forums, and it got me thinking in the first place. This just looks terrific!
http://omploader.org/vMmxobQ
Let's see, GNOME, KDE, Xfce, Enlightenment, Open Box for desktop enviroments. Then you got window mangers (can be run in conjunction with your favorite DE) such as BMPanel, PekWM, IceWM, etc. Then you got things like Emerald (based on and uses of Compiz) that add extra eye candy to your windows.

With most distros, it's quite easy to install and switch between DEs/window managers. With Ubuntu it's a simple matter of using
Code:
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
to install KDE and
Code:
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
to install Xfce.

Others can be found in the various Debian/Ubuntu repos, other distros such openSUSE and Fedora have their own repositories and package management systems that makes install and playing with DE/WMs so easy. To be quite frank, package managers such as apt, yum, etc and their GUI front ends make Windows look quite dated when comes to installing, updating and managing applications.

I personally run GNOME, however I have Xfce installed to play with along with PekWM. I did have the KDE beta installed however I was having some issues so I decided to nuke it until Kubuntu "Lucid Lynx" is released. Eventually I want to play with Enlightenment.

The user in that screenshot is using a distro called CrunchBang Linux which is an Ubuntu based distro (which is based on Debian's "Unstable" branch). CBL uses OpenBox as its Desktop enviroment, however since it is an Ubuntu based distro, you can mix and match from packages on the Ubuntu repos until get just exactly what you want. Speaking of mixing and matching, I like that terminal...

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-20-10 at 01:02 PM.