View Single Post
02-04-10, 02:12 PM   #20
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's enough! Don't make me put you in separate corners!

While you may feel that Zyonin's post was meant to turn you into a bad guy, that is not the case. Zyonin's post was meant to avoid any unwanted repercussions as a result of your publicly available tutorial.

And, no, it hasn't been said that editing the cursors in this way is "legal". GM's aren't allowed/don't know 100% what is legal or not. Pavonum, the blue you quoted, is a GM. You can add his response to those of the other two GMs listed in this thread. All you have is two for and one against. And you will find many, many more varying GM responses on the subject. None of which are definitive or make something "legal".

Even Pavonum's response could be interpreted as referring to regular Interface overrides (in the Interface folder), since he specifically said "user interface". Kaone (another GM) also replied to that thread, quoting the relevant section of the Terms of Use (2.B.), saying:
The answer is a complete no. It is not ok. You may not change the art or models used in the World of Warcraft client in any form and doing so will place your account at risk. This is covered in the Terms of Use.
But, again, he's just a GM and doesn't have a definitive say about interpretation of the TOU/TOS.

The old way for cursors to be overridden was via a CURSORS folder in the Interface folder (the normal way of overriding interface textures). This ability was **removed** by Blizzard a few patches ago. The change to .mpq files is nothing new, but people stayed away from it because of a) the risk to your account for doing so, and b) the ability to change cursors via an "accepted" manner was available.

The question is (and has been since that patch) "Why did Blizzard take away that way to change our cursors?"

Also, Blizzard is free to apply their TOS/TOU as they see fit, and change it as they see fit. Just because Kupotek has been changing his for 2 years with no repercussions, doesn't mean that Blizz won't decide to take action later.

TL;DR: no one knows if your tutorial is "legal" or not except the people at Blizzard that call the shots and make the rules. And whether they choose to let us know is up to them. If they say that changing cursors in the .mpqs is "legal", then that opens the flood gates for other edits/questions. The answer to these questions is **always** to err on the side of caution and "don't do it."

One last thing.
Originally Posted by Amenity View Post
I guess that's the privilege the "UI community elite" get around here. I haven't written any life-changing 100k+ download addons and aren't buddy-buddy with the site administration here so it's perfectly acceptable for all sorts of blind misinformed accusations to be tossed my way with no repercussions whatsoever. I mean, you're the ones bringing in the site traffic and the advertisement dollars so they have to cater to your whim.
This is the second time that you have made an accusation like this. I suggest you reanalyze your opinion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 02-04-10 at 02:27 PM. Reason: edited wording of a sentence