View Single Post
05-10-09, 11:53 AM   #110
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by rdsully View Post
But that's exactly what they did for a long time. And kind of what they did until deeplinking was blocked.
i'm talking about wowace specifically. the only time wowm pulled off of wowace is when wowace had "open hosting" so to speak. there were lots of one-click updaters and the nature of wowace was that mods got updated frequently because it was primarily a development site. now authors have to specifically tag new releases for them to be pushed to curse or be recognized by the curse client. if authors are still tagging every release, then it's more of an author problem than a user problem.

Most mod authors push all changes they make, and let the user decide if it's significant enough to warrant updating their copy. The problem is that most WM users ( and users of any updater, actually) see a new version posted and update without seeing if the update applies to them.
i guess it's just two different philosophies on updates. i prefer to download updates as they become available rather than waiting to discover i need them -- whether it's wow addons or windows updates. i understand some people don't like doing it that way. i'd hesitate to say that one is the good way and one is the bad way.

i'm sitting in front of a $1000 piece of machinery -- why not let it do the work for me?

Why should Curse or WOWI have to configure their servers to make it easy for a 3rd party to use their resources? What you're saying is that if WM knew where the files were they could just go get them. It doesn't solve the issue of using the resources of the hosting sites without providing an opportunity for them to earn any money from those resources to keep them running.
i was clear to say that i didn't think they should feel obliged to make it easy for wowmatrix, but it as it relates to the specifics of the wowm faq it makes perfect sense. i mean how much extra data is churned by the process of wowmatrix having to scrape through pages trying to get at the zip file? i suspect it's not insignificant. i wouldn't be surprised to learn that 75% of the traffic generated is simply discarded html pages. that would put a whole different spin on the claim that wowmatrix's offer for bandwidth payment was an insult. but maybe i'm wrong -- perhaps the files were more accessible than that (scraping every time to locate the files) i dunno. i would expect things to have been more streamlined, but the faq mentioned the streamlining process so perhaps in curse's desire to keep updaters away they simply generated more traffic for themselves.

No matter what system WM proposed, the root still goes back to WM has no infrastructure, and would be using resources of the hosting site to do all of this; WM offers no way for it's users to interact with them; WM offers no development community or tools to help authors publish their addons.
the bandwidth criticism is absolutely valid, tho wowm says they tried to address this. could be a load, of course, but curse at least says they paid lip service to the idea of paying, so the question becomes a matter of how much they were offering.

but nobody wants wowmatrix to actually have forums or pages for questions and bug reports. hell, i find two is too many, honestly. i'd rather have a single place where i address issues and keep people informed of planned updates and known issues. why create an additional location to have to check periodically and duplicate effort to keep updated? wowmatrix was designed as a delivery tool. all the other stuff is already handled very well by other sites.