View Single Post
03-26-15, 12:07 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
I'm not sure why do you need that much ram, but i would just halve it. Having 64 GB won't speed up nothing.
The reason for maxing out the RAM is solely because of the plan to use it for video editing and rendering as well as gaming. I know RAM has nothing to do with speed...until you fill it up with what tasks you are running. I'm also trying to cover if I want to record gameplay while rendering previous footage.

The WD black drives are really noisy, i mean REALLY NOISY, and there is no way to reduce it's sound by software because it's made to be noisy.
I doubt it's actually a design point for them to make it noisy, it's just inherent to being a HDD. At any rate, I know there are many people that care about sound levels, I've never been one of them.

With this budget you need to forget AMD. :P
I was still giving them a chance in case their higher clock rate could outperform on a per thread basis. I know AMD has been known to be sloppy with their clock cycles while Intel is more efficient. This is one reason why we no longer compare clock speeds as much as we used to. Otherwise, I would've chosen AMD as the definitive solution.

Originally Posted by 10leej View Post
If your looking to spen that much money why not use an i5 cpu? the i5 isn't that much slower than the i7 and really the price difference isn't worth it.
All of the 5th gen chips currently run 4 threads. 4th gen i5's have at most 8 threads. The CPU I had listed is an Extreme Edition and runs 16 threads. Even though games usually only run 2-4 threads, video editing/rendering benefits greatly from having more.

why not use a cooler master hyper v12? it's really the best one out there
I haven't seen one listed on their main site. I only listed the V8 GTS as a last minute alternate to an AIO water cooler.

case I prefer the fractal design define r5 myself much better build quality than any corsair case i've seen.
The case choice was a purely cosmetic one. The reviews I've seen do point out the doors tend to bulge out when subjected to pressure and with the doors open, the case has a tendency to wobble. The sad fact is, not many cases are made to look more than flat boxes anymore. In the latest revision of this build list, I was looking at the Cooler Master Cosmos case line as a possibility.

didn't see the second ssd
The point of the M.2 SSD was to offload the OS onto the faster PCIe-based slot for quicker boot times. Since they are made with half the capacity of what I could find with the SATA models, I chose the smallest to fit its planned use and cut wasted cost.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-26-15 at 01:17 PM.