View Single Post
05-12-09, 11:30 AM   #151
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Elhana View Post
Still didn't convince me.

I agree addon manager shouldn't mess with error handling options of client since it is a user choise to see them.

I do not agree that temporary fixes should not be implemented at all - some addons may be broken for ages for different reasons, yet addon is still "maintained". Just search for "fan update" here and you'll see how many people actually putting their dirty hands into your cookies, even more if you look for hacks in comments. Actually WoWI shall implement ability to upload custom patches, that would help if someone wants to implement some minor fix without forking addon completely. Examples: Quartz hack for Deaden (BT RoS), recent NeedToKnow self debuffs tracking hacks.

No, that doesn't create any version issues - either updated beforehand and there is nothing for WM to fix or it is "temporary fix" getting updated on both official source and WM when new "official" version comes out.
The thing is, most AddOn authors don't want other people "fixing" their AddOns without their knowledge. It is in all senses better to release a new AddOn, if that is allowed by the license, with a new name than to make patches without the author knowing about it. If anything, at least contact the author and file a decent bug report and or a diff file.

If the author is MIA for sever months you could also ask the admins take over the project or just re release it under a new name.