View Single Post
03-20-11, 08:53 PM   #15
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Crissa View Post
Well, yes.

But here it's being used to represent items which follow your character around rather than your screen space. Just as we call frames that follow units around 'nameplates' when in reality they're not much different than the frames that follow the edge of our screen that pop up when we select things. Names only mean things in context.

Footnote: In Second Life they're referred to opposite: Things which attach to the client are called 'HUD' and the things which attach to the character are the normal items (attachments).
Good points, and I agree the definitions must be contextual. I was just thinking the HUD v. HUD-less argument has more to do with HUD-within-a-HUD viability, but is really about what makes a HUD more effective which, as most are in agreement with, is 97.412381% subjective, and 100% relative.

I think the requirements of a functional heads-up display are satisfied by the default UI, however I usually play at 720p, so my eyes naturally have very little traveling to do. I went through a PVP-centric period where I stuffed as many timers as I could into the center screen real estate, and ultimately found it did absolutely nil to increase my playing performance (and yes I also sucked at PVP ).

I've had my unit frames at my character's feet for some time now.

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
If you can show us some peer-reviewed scientific studies that conclude that curved vertical bars in the middle of the viewing area are "better" in some way than straight horizontal bars for displaying information about units in a video game, please do it. Otherwise, your opinion is just as objectively meaningless as your opinion about carrots.
Well said...this may find its way into a sig or two.