View Single Post
03-21-11, 06:46 AM   #19
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
First why do they insist not using the very intuitive method of IceHud in seeing personal and target health, mana and cast, the most important information in the game for a DPS and Tank? Instead, most showing off their UIs, they use pitbull's unintuitive bars that show two flat lines. Pitbull and X-Perl are great for raid, focus and other info but for personal and target info strictly, a HUD is obviously superior. It's simply intuitive.

Second, I forgot.
Well I don't understand how people can watch team sports, since I consider them extremely boring; or role human males in WoW, since they're one of the worst character models in game o_O. Everyone has a preference.

UIs are about two things: making the game look the way you want so it's pleasing to your eye, and designing it in such a way that it fits your main role (tank/heal/dps) and method of play (pve/pvp).

Some people sacrifice aesthetics for function. I've seen some incredibly hideous raid UIs, but if the person performs well in the chaotic raid environment, then I'm not going to question their choices. As a healer, I'm only concerned that DPS and tanks don't stand in fire, interrupt/CC when needed, and pump out as much dps as their gear allows. If they can do those things with a hideous UI, I don't really care.

Others seem focused only on the appearance of the game, or use (what I consider to be silly/useless) addons for the sake of fun, rather than function.

You have to consider that everyone's brain works differently. Concerning this topic, not only is it a product of experience with other games (FPS that might be HUD based), but also how that person's brain works in terms of being more left/right brain and how they process the information that they see on their screen.

Finally, with the addition of ground-based healing spells in the game, I have had many comments from melee dps complaining that it can be difficult to see fire and other bad things through the giant mass of colored glowing light at the boss's feet in addition to the boss's own mass and other raid members. If you have a HUD, it adds even more information to the center of the screen that can obscure important effects that you need to see.

Last edited by sakurakira : 03-21-11 at 06:51 AM.