View Single Post
12-22-09, 03:51 AM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just received this email. It may explain some things.

I take security very seriously here at WarcraftRealms.com, but I will be the first to admit that I am no security expert. This site grew out of a hobby and has been a labor of love since WoW was in beta.

Due to the popularity and nature of the site, I am constantly under attack by hackers. One can only assume that these hackers wish to gather information pertaining to users' WoW accounts in an effort to hack, and use those WoW accounts for nefarious reasons (gold selling, character selling, etc).

While I do everything I can and know to do, a couple of months ago, the site was compromised and a breach did occur. The extent of the breach was not known at the time, but I have reason to believe that, at the least, the hacker(s) made off with the email addresses contained in my database.

The hole used was found and sealed. Hopefully there are not any others that have not been found at this time.

Those email addresses are now being targeted for various Phishing schemes, particularly for WoW account phishing scams. These scams typically attempt to get you to visit their site and enter your WoW account credentials.

Please always be very cautious when entering your information. Never click links in emails, but instead type the url of the site you wish to visit into the address bar of your browser.

As a further precaution, I urge all of you to get a Blizzard Authenticator which will with almost complete certainty protect your account from hackers.

Finally, please never use your WoW account name or password as your username or password to any online site.

Again, my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience anyone might have suffered due to this intrusion.

Always be safe,

Rollie
www DOT warcraftrealms DOT com