View Single Post
07-21-14, 12:29 AM   #1
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First impressions

Just noticed Minion was a thing again (actually Seerah pointed it out) and decided to try it out. Here's how it went:

#1 - The download button doesn't work when Google Analytics is blocked. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever encountered a website where something actually didn't work because Skynet was blocked, but okay, right-click and save the file works too.

#2 - Okay, installation complete. Low contrast. Low contrast everywhere. I can't read half the text in the app without squinting and leaning in toward the screen.

#3 - There's a button at the top that seems to be two semi-transparent buttons stacked on top of each other, labelled "Update All" and "Auto Update". See attachment.

#4 - Upon entering my username and password I got a "Login failed. Please check your userid and password." message. After clearing the field to try re-typing my username with a capital P in case it was case-sensitive, I noticed the field was actually labeled "Email" and not "Username". Okay, after going into my settings to see which email account I used on here, I was able to log in.

#4a - Do you guys have any plans to support username-based login in the future?

#4b - Please use persistent form labels. I know these in-field labels that vanish as soon as you focus the field are all the rage these days, but when I'm tabbing through form fields (I guess the iPhone generation don't know what the tab key does?) I'm not scanning ahead, and if I get distracted for a second after focusing a field, I'm not going to remember what that label said. Hopefully this trend goes the way of the Under Construction gif soon. Also, dat low, low contrast. Too dark, can't read.

#5 - Stuck on "Detecting WOWGame Installs" for about 15 minutes. The app updated itself after I logged in, so I'm pretty sure it's up to date. Build ID at the bottom says 02b2a4ed106cf3bc8d6a9394c917568c6f1654b and again -- guys, seriously, I can't read that. I literally had to screenshot and paste into GIMP and up the brightness and contrast to be able to see it well enough to type it out, and even then it was difficult due to the microscopic size.

Closing thoughts:
Overall impression was not positive. I'll try it again in a few days, because I understand it's still in beta, and all else being equal I'd rather use a WoWI app than a Curse app, but without some major UI changes to fix the low contrast and tiny font sizes, it's just not usable for me.

System info:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, US English
- 1920x1080 at 120dpi (the "Medium/125%" setting) on a 27" monitor
- WoW installed in C:\Applications\World of Warcraft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minion1.png
Views:	324
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	8154