View Single Post
08-11-14, 07:11 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
(1) Please include an option to not create a Start Menu folder.
(1) "Detecting WoWGame Installs" still takes about 2 full minutes, but at least it doesn't completely hang the app anymore.
I'm guessing Minion is still trying to search network shares and usb devices for wow.exe based upon your feedback below. I have a ticket in to investigate this and get Minion to only search local drives if possible.

(2) I was prompted to back up my addons. This prompt could use a bit of explanatory text, I think. Is it going to create a ZIP file somewhere on my computer? If so, where? Or is it a cloud-based backup like the Curse Client's backup/sync feature? If so, what information is it going to upload? Why does Minion want me to make a backup, anyway? Is it about to wreck my addons folder?
Sorry our FAQ information hasn't been copied here yet. I'll talk to Cairenn. The backup is a zip backup of the AddOn folder for each detected game and its located in the C:\Users\<your username>\.minion\backup\ folder. We enabled this for beta so if minion did go crazy we could help people restore their addons.

(3) There is a dire need for an additional "okay, I found these WoW installations, which ones do you want to scan for addons?" prompt between the "detecting installs" and "detecting addons" stages. Minion found two ancient copies of WoW on a mapped network drive, and scanning their addons took forever (16 minutes, to be exact).
Thats not a bad idea to prompt the user with the detected games Minion has found. However we do want to fix that fact that its searching network shares for the game. That is certainly slowing things down.

(4) During the "detecting addons" stage, Minion appeared to detect a number of addons that I don't have installed (and aren't present in that aforementioned network copies either) such as "Raio X" (which appears to be an old Portuguese version of Examiner, which I do have installed) and "Grid Pack" (an extremely outdated bundle including Grid and some Grid plugins; I do have Grid installed, obviously, but I don't have any the plugins from the bundle installed). Unfortunately, by the time this long long process finished, I forgot about this, and removed the network installs before checking their addon lists to see if Minion actually listed these mistmatches in the installed addons list.
Thanks, do you happen to have the minion0.log during detection? the minion0.log is reset every time you restart Minion so I'm guessing not.

(5) The "Add Game" function doesn't seem to work. After selecting World of Warcraft and navigating to the game install path and clicking Select, the dialog closes, and nothing happens. Selecting the top-level program folder, the Interface folder, or the Interface/AddOns folder all yielded the same result.

Also, the treeview for selecting a WoW folder is pretty buggy. About half the time when selecting a drive, the tree panel is just blank; I have to select a different drive and then re-select the desired drive to get a list. And when I do get a folder list, the order in which the folders are listed seems totally random. It's certainly not alphabetical, and doesn't appear to be chronological either, at least according to the created and modified dates on the folders I checked.
When you get to the AddOn folder location you need to click the AddOn folder so that the entire path shows in the input field below. Is that happening? We need to find a better file browser, we tried some open source ones and the java default one but it was extremely buggy. I personally havent had much trouble with our custom one.

(6) SVN working copies and Git repositories are still shown as needing updating. This makes the "Update All" feature completely useless for addon authors.
We are working on a feature to detect those folders and add an option to ignore updates in under the options page. We can not roll this out as a default option as we have found many authors have distributed their .svn / .git to users.

(7) Addons needing updates should be at the top of the list. Scrolling through ~150 addons in a window that only shows 5 at a time (and only scrolls by 3 at a time) is extremely painful.

(8) Tooltips on version numbers don't appear immediately. I just thought they didn't work, until I accidentally left the cursor over a version number, and noticed that a tooltip appeared after 1-2 full seconds. They would not receive the updates if it was enabled by default.

What you can do now is right click on the AddOn under the installed list and choose "ignore updates".

(9) Clicking on an addon immediately pops up an overlay with info about the addon. This is pretty annoying, as clicking on a window is a very common method of bringing the clicked app back into focus.
I would have to disagree here. There is nothing to focus, there are no options to choose if we allowed a list item to be in focus so that would be confusing. We had double click in the past which confused many people.

(10) Scrolling in the addons list is more consistent now. However, responsiveness in general is very bad across the whole app. Scrolling still has a noticable delay between the time I turn the mousewheel and the time the UI actually scrolls. Clicking on most things (game in the left column, installed/get more/options tabs across the top, sort dropdown) has a noticable lag time (0.5-1 seconds). Typing in the search box is extremely slow (when seaching on the "get more" list, there's about a 1-second freeze after every letter typed in the box).
We are working on this lag. Some of it may be do the extra logging we have enabled during beta to help us find bugs. I have a ticket in to research this.

Specific misidentifications:

AckisRecipeList_QuickScan was marked as needing an update from 5.4.0-1.0.8 to 5.4.0-1.0.8 (same version).

ArchyFix (a private unreleased addon) was misidentified as Archy 1.6.3 Fix, an ancient fan update from 2011 (which should really have been moved to the Outdated category by now). Some kind of basic size comparison on ambiguous name matches could easily tell that an addon that's 308 Kb zipped cannot possibly be the correct match for a 3 KB (uncompressed) addon. Alternatively, you could copy the Curse Client's approach -- prompt the user, tell them what you guessed, and ask them to confirm it before you show the addon in the list as ready to update.

Bazooka was marked as needing an update from v2.4.0 to v2.3.1 (older version).

OmniCC was marked as needing an update from 5.4.3 to 5.4.1 (older version).

Postal was marked as needing an update from 3.5.1 to v3.5.0 (older version, extra letter).
Thank you this information is very helpful. Minion only checks if something is different, its not yet smart enough to tell if a version number is newer or older. Some other issues need to be fixed by attracting more authors to keep their AddOns updated here which we are working on.

On second run:

Startup time seems to have gotten worse since I last tried it. Having an SSD at home vs HDD at work is probably a large contributing factor here, though, so I'll run it again later at home to get a better comparison.
On the 2nd run how many games were in your game list?

Though I did not update everything that was marked as needing an update on the first run, no addons are now shown as needing updates. I guess having seen the update in the app before is marking it as "done" but that's obviously not correct behavior -- if I didn't actually update the addon, then it's still in need of an update.
I'm sorry I don't understand. You did not update any AddOns and then on the 2nd run those AddOns no longer showed as needing updates?

Would you mind sharing your AddOn folder with me when you have time? Send it to [email protected] if you have time. Thanks.