View Single Post
02-05-10, 07:23 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
Hi,
I thought of that. I could do that but it would be much slower running the game over the network vice running it from a local HDD. That's why I wonder if there is a config setting in WoW, or a registry setting, or something, that would allow me to just move the Addons directory to the NAS.

Thanks,
Twidget
I think that WoW, for the most part, is hard coded to look for AddOns in a specific location. The only time that WoW will look for AddOns in a different location is if WoW is installed in Windows Vista/7's Program Files folder. Thus WoW has to look elsewhere in the user's Virtual Store.

On all other OSes or if WoW is not installed in Program Files, then WoW expects to find AddOns in your Interface/Addons folder. There is no user accessible config setting (that I have found) to change your AddOn's location, and WoW does not use Registry settings (except for one temporary one).

I think that running from a NAS drive would only be slower when it comes to reading/writing data at startup/log-in/log-off as once you are playing, WoW loads into your local machine's RAM. If you got plenty of RAM, you should be able to start run WoW from a NAS drive without much noticeable slowdown (unless your network is really slow to being with). The slow periods would be when you zone from Kalimdor/Azeroth/Northrend/Outland and into instances. Once zoned in, you should be fine.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-05-10 at 07:27 AM.