View Single Post
11-06-09, 01:05 PM   #38
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post
Who cares where people get their gold really? What are people gonna buy with the gold anyway? Powerlevel tradeskills? The Traveller's Tundra Mammoth? Gear from the AH that isn't as good (for the most part) as anything you can get the old fashioned way? Who cares about any of that stuff?
If it's legal for people to buy gold, and they can use it to powerup a tradeskill, and there's a minor advantage in changing tradeskills between instances (or even, between bosses), can you see a large number of guilds (or hell, the GearScore/LinkAchieve PuG raid crowd) requiring it? I can.

What does that do for the reroll/alt who is leveling normally and trying to level his tradeskill naturally? The materials will either be gone, or be prohibitively expensive - unless they purchase gold themselves, which is not terribly realistic.

This is just one example.. there are no bounds to the amount of damage that can be done by a nearly unlimited influx of gold. Think of the gems, the scrolls, the enchants, the "primals".. the stuff you always need to buy at max level when you get an upgrade.

If anything, it levels the playing field a bit for people who have irregular or very little play time. Some of us can spend all day farming gold and acquiring whatever we want with said gold, while someone who works all day and has 3 kids to deal with can buy gold with the money they worked all day for and get the same stuff. It doesn't hurt my feelings when someone has the same stuff as me.
I'm not entirely sure why you're discounting the possibility of someone with regular play time also buying gold to supplement their farming.