View Single Post
12-18-13, 11:43 AM   #48
Bisou
A Defias Bandit
Since Scott is not posting here anymore, I thought you all would like to see this latest message from Scott to his nUI group:

I wanted to take a moment to update everyone on the status of nUI, its availability and to try and clarify a few things that seem to have some folks confused.

Let me start with this: this has never been about the success or failure of the eco-geeks.org campaign. Personally, I could care less if any individual contributes to the campaign, or not. Certainly I hope they will, and I’ll be disappointed if they don’t, but I absolutely do not expect it and never in a million years would I have a cow because they did not. I don’t see the eco-geeks.org campaign as having failed at all., for that matter. In fact, I feel better about it every day and remain convinced it can succeed and will succeed.

This issue is, and always has been, about the behavior of a certain select subset of the “people” who are on the nUI mailing list and use the software I produce. It is, and always has been about their uncivilized, abusive, bully behavior. I will not suffer a fool, tolerate a tyrant or bow before bullies. Not now. Not ever. If anyone believes that they can profit from my hard work while simultaneously abusing me, be it verbally or otherwise, they are grossly mistaken.

The events of the past few weeks has never been about punishing the good people, about having to get paid for nUI, or about eco-geeks.org. This has been, and remains, about one thing and one thing only… I will not allow people who cannot behave in a polite and civilized manner to profit from my work.

This brings me to WoWInterface.com who publicly lashed me for my stance and demands I apologize for the comments I have made about the gaming (WoWI?) community in my posts over the last several weeks. I can assure you it will be a cold day in hell before I will apologize to anyone for standing up for myself in the face of brats, bullies and tyrants. If no one is willing to look a jerk dead in their eye and tell them that their behavior will not be tolerated, our community is forever lost. I won’t back down. Ever.

I have said my piece at WoWInterface and I have logged off of their site. I will not return. They can rationalize to themselves however they want about how this is all my fault, but I will not change my mind or yield to pressure to appease the whining masses. Nor will I continue to help them earn subscriptions and advertising revenue while they coddle the ill-mannered and uncivilized factions of the gaming community. It’s a matter of principle to me.

Unfortunately, I cannot delete nUI from their site. Nor can I remove my forums from their site. However, I will no longer read their forums nor will any nUI updates be posted to their site. To that end, for the time being, you can find nUI+ and nUI6 both freely available for download at Curse.com

nUI+ is at http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/nui
nUI6 is at http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/nui6/

To clear up another matter, regarding Blizzard’s policy for add-on authors, nUI is *not* in violation of their policy. Blizzard and I have had direct communication (as evidenced by the e-mails I had posted on WoWI) and they are in agreement that I am not violating their policy. They have stated, flatly, that they have no interest in being involved in how I choose to distribute the add-on and are in agreement that I am complying with their guidelines. End of story. The good news is that nUI is not going away. While I vehemently disagree with their add-on policy, I respect their authority on the matter and will always ensure that I remain compliant with it so as not to deny my user community their use of nUI.

And that being the case, let me close with this: I have received hundreds of e-mails from nUI users. A few have admittedly been relegated to the asshat club but, for the most part, the wheat has clearly been separated from the chaff. I am humbled, and deeply touched, by the things I have read... the things you have taken the time out of your day to share with me. I assure you that I have read each and every e-mail sent to me – though I am still a couple hundred emails behind – and I have saved each and every e-mail and e-mail address. While it is not possible for me to respond to every e-mail I have received, I assure you that everyone who has e-mailed me (and been respectful and civil) will be a part of the “inner-circle” to which I referred some time back. You will all be invited and I am deeply honored to have you as a part of the nUI family.

Until such time as I can get the web site reworked to support the access controls I need to filter out those who lack the capacity to be civil and respectful, nUI+ and nUI6 will remain freely available to everyone at Curse.com – after that, I assure you that you will continue to have access to nUI and my support… whether your choose to contribute for it or not. I hope you will, but it is *never* a requirement.

So, to you all… I thank you for your support, I am humbled by your words of courage and compassion and I remain forever in your service…

Scott.