View Single Post
04-23-09, 02:48 AM   #760
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Kaelten View Post
Has anyone noticed that most of the people showing up to protest haven't been active in the community at all until this week?

Many of them haven't even had accounts.

I've noticed it on curse too...
Kaelten,

I told you this on your own site, and in the name of maintaining a similar perspective across venues, it concerns me that you seem so willing to be condescending and invalidate others in the name of making your perspective seem more relevant.

I will caution you here the same way I did on your forums: professionalism, respect, and kindness will do far more to further your cause (in this case, your software) than condescension and rudeness.

"But, I wasn't being condescending or rude..."

You most certainly were. The only reason I've recently checked out WI or CC is because they have done something that directly affects me. That doesn't make my voice any less important in the din of support and dissent for either side that is being simultaneously thrust into the debate. Your comment makes it seem as though I have no right to express an opinion, because from your perspective, I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" on the scene. I take that attitude to be exremely arrogant and unnecessary, and I'm not so sure it makes me willing to give you so much as a second glance except to note what I don't like about you or your software.

To draw a bottom line, you are alienating WoWMatrix users. If you want us to use your product, quit it. I can understand your frustration with WoWMatrix, but we aren't WoWMatrix, so we'll appreciate you not treating us like we are.

Moving on...

Cairenn,

As I have watched this debate take place over time and talked to many of the developers of the mods I enjoy using through private messages, I've come to realize that while I may appreciate the functionality of WoWMatrix, I'm not a fan of the legality (or lack thereof in this case) of their actions. Even if the issue weren't legal, I still wouldn't be fond of the lack of respect inherent to their alleged practices.

Unfortunately, I really like the way their software functions. >< Having gone through your post history in this thread, it would seem you and I are on the same page (if not fairly close to it).

Reviewing your post history has also shown me that you prefer calm, rational, respectful discussion, and when all's been said and done, I may very likely be using whatever addon manager your site produces. I have some questions about it, however, and as I feel comfortable bringing them to you, I'm going to ask them here.

1) As a WoWMatrix user, I have the ability to download and update mods without the hassle of logging in. I know it reflects well on a software producer when they have the ability to track how many people are using their software. If I use your product, will I have to logon in the application? If so, will there be some kind of "Remember Me" option I can check so I only have to click "Okay" to logon?

2) As a WoWMatrix user, I have enjoyed extremely minimalistic adverts. (Other WM users who haven't noticed them, I promise they're there. You haven't been advert-free this whole time. They really have been making money off your usage, no matter how little money they were actually generating.) I understand that in order to generate a quality addon manager and maintain the servers which support that manager, you need to have the adverts there. What kind of links, banners, pop-ups, or pop-unders can I expect when using your coming addon manager?

3) Can I look forward to an "Update All" function as a free user?

4) Will there be some functions available to paid users that aren't available to free users, or is your addon manager going to be equally simple for both sets of users?

5) Will Macintosh users with any form of MacOS on any hardware be able to use your addon manager?

Thank you, Cairenn, for being approachable with these questions. I'm not sure I have too many options if I have to leave WoWMatrix, but I like the thought that you're one of the options I have.

Respectfully,
Nate

PS @ Raethe: Dancing cheese ftw! ^^

Last edited by us2006027321 : 04-23-09 at 03:57 AM.