View Single Post
10-19-09, 11:26 AM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
When I'm talking initial set up I'm speaking of configuring and so on. Depending on the look your after it can be up to a few hours. Also some people doubt their creativity/"technical ability" and would rather find a look they want as opposed to muddling through the options. Downloading a compilation fixes all of that in mere moments.

One of the other big problems with UI compilation--besides the above--is it limits the the thoughts of first time users for exploring the wide, wide world of alternative mods. They have a compilation, it does the job right now, why bother looking/learning to look/downloading other mods that might be more suitable for their needs?
The thing here is some people just want a simple change of pace. They may not care about looking for other options. They may well be after just a look or simply experimenting. Aside from the fact that downloading a compilation does not necessarily mean they won't look else where for other options.

I got in to making my own UI's due to trying compilations and not finding exactly what i wanted. Sure as you mentioned I tried some and it was okay for the time. As time went on i found there were things that were starting to not work as I wanted.

I see posts like that on here reasonably often. "Help me I can't find a compilation that does what I want, has this and this and fits my resolution. Is someone willing to make it for me?" That's a person who hit the stage I had hit. They are the ones I advise to start building their own.

I'm not saying that when starting out that building your own UI's or searching for individual mods is a bad idea. Far from it. I just see the value in both options. I see it as learning to walk before you run.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor