View Single Post
08-21-10, 11:56 AM   #12
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Okay guys I just got word of a new error with the latest build , build # 12803.

I'm going to post about it here as this is the most visible thread , as well as updating my little FAQ.

Moving file pointer before the beginning of the file error :

If you get an error that looks like this
This application has encountered a critical error:

An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

Program: D:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft Beta\WoW.exe
File: character\goblin\female\goblinfemale.m2
Then you need to go into your World of Warcraft Beta folder -> Data folder and wipe the Cache folder there.

Be careful to wipe only the Cache folder and not the Data folder itself. Take a back up copy of the Data folder first if your unsure that you can delete the Cache folder without taking out the Data folder.

PS the subtly underline part is the important part. I've seen crash reports on the beta forums mentioning different files but with the same error. All were fixed by this fix.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)