View Single Post
05-06-09, 07:52 PM   #49
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
**warning really long verbose post just like the good ones**
Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post
The minutes I save having to update 30-40 mods is better spent going to the spending time with my loved ones or going to the gym.
You can go to the gym and spend time with your loved ones in 15 minutes O_o

Because that is about how long I spend updating my addons. I use 89 addons not including multiparts to one addon and other addons that come in the same package as another addon.

I update every week to 10 days. I look at 8-9 addon pages. Download maybe 4 updates. Doesn't take me more than 15 minutes. Again that's 15 minutes every 7 - 10 , examing 8-9 webpages downloading 4 addon updates. Getting in the car and driving to the gym is actually harder and longer.

Updating your addons manually isn't a ardous , time consuming process. If you do things right it shouldn't take you longer then consuming a bagel and a cup of coffee. They do not update in major ways every single day and hence do not need to be updated every single day. Once these 2 truths are realized then the need for an automatic updater program disappears.

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Now I run quite a few AddOns myself. Do you know how many I have to update at a time? 3 to 4 a week IF there are major code changes. The vast majority of changes are small things that do not effect the AddOn. These changes are things like version control tag changes, or localization updates (aka a button that says No in English got translated to "nien" in German). Do you really need these changes? No. So why update 35 to 40 AddOn daily or even weekly? I do all my updates manually. This is on top of being a father, moderating several forums, serving as a Guild officer, keeping my house clean, cooking, getting out for my hour's daily walk, getting my kid to and a from school plus helping with homework and a myriad of other daily RL tasks.
Quoted for Fricken Truth

Originally Posted by Pyrophoric View Post
I am all for the donation program setup for authors. However, I prefer giving 100% to the authors since there are no real perks subscribing to premium. IMO, I am wasting 80% of my money when that could be going to the right people.
Personally I'ld like my money going towards the site as well. Servers don't run on sunshine,rainbows and bacon. Bandwidth isn't free. I like to think my $$$$$ is going towards support a site I love with valuable forums , author support and invaluable author tools (this is true for both Curse and Wowinterface)

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
There are tools that will help you find updated mods. Personally, I love Fin's AddOn site: http://fin.instinct.org/wowmods/
Personally Lykofos I'm lazy.

I'm so lazy that I would prefer that when an addon author posts an update I get an email about it.

It's the push method of updating (ie the addons push their updates at me) rather then the pull method of updating.

My problem with going to check is I often forget to update. Not that that breaks my UI or anything
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)