12-07-07, 12:38 AM   #1
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

WoW Interface Options not getting saved

I am having a weird issue, not sure if it has to do with 2.3 or not. I tried searching the forums for my issue, but I didn't find any threads; perhaps if there is already a thread started I could be pointed in the right direction.

I pay WoW on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11

I recently downloaded and installed SEI UI from this site. I used the zip file installation, and everything worked great. I have been able to customize the UI further to meet my needs.

However, there is two small annoyances:

1. The WoW built-in Interface options (the one with the Basic and Advanced Options tabs) are not getting persisted; no matter what change I make, when I exit the game and relaunch, the settings revert. I make sure to log out properly and exit the game gracefully. I've also tried running /reloadui. Interestingly enough, /reloadui doesn't reset my WoW built-in Interface options, only upon grace exit and re-launch. I can keep going in there and making the changes to how I like to play the game, but it's annoying.

2. The mode I run the game in windowed mode, or at least like to. But when I exit the game this setting also reverts back to non-windowed mode. Every other setting in the Video settings window persists, except this one.

Any light that could be shed would be sweet.

Thx,
Daniel
12-07-07, 09:47 AM   #2
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The reloadui command does exactly that, reloads your GUI. It does not logout. Only one of those two things will save your addon settings.

It could very well be an issue with the "newest" version of OSX... if you were running a PC I would suggest making sure your WoW folder isn't Read-Only.

12-07-07, 09:55 AM   #3
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I see what you mean.

I am beginning to think it has more to do with the installation steps and patch 2.3. Regarding the installation steps, I think that copying over someone else's WTF folder, even if you do rename the account/server/char_name folders, you will still have some synchronization issues that will require a little more fine-tuning to resolve. Regarding patch 2.3, it just seems to me, from reading in the forums, that more people have similar issues (abstracted to "sets of preferences not getting saved") that sometimes is related to a trojan, but not always in my estimation.

I am going to post a question in the UI comments board, to see if the author knows something. For now, I'm settling with the Interface settings that this UI brings and going to go with the flow, rather than fight it. It's taking some adjustment, but the UI is just sooooo much nicer than that stock UI, it's worth the adjustment.

I only wish I knew which file the wow client uses to persist this data... if I only knew that, I think I could troubleshoot the problem more effectively (I think it's Config.wtf, but I am not at home now to check it out).

Thanks for the response.
12-07-07, 10:09 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Gemini_II
The reloadui command does exactly that, reloads your GUI. It does not logout. Only one of those two things will save your addon settings.

It could very well be an issue with the "newest" version of OSX... if you were running a PC I would suggest making sure your WoW folder isn't Read-Only.
Reloading the UI writes to the saved variables as well. You are separating logout/exit game as the two ways, when actually they are only one of the two.

1. Character exits the game by normal means (logout/exit game) - this means that the client and the server both know to save settings
2. Reloading your UI
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-07-07, 12:10 PM   #5
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Good to know. Do you know which files contain these settings I speak of?
12-07-07, 12:46 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Game settings are stored in 3 locations, depending on what it is you're changing.

* WTF\Config.wtf
* WTF\Account\your account name\SavedVariables.lua
*WTF\Account\your account name\your character name\SavedVariables.lua

Feel free to open these files and poke around. Also, make sure that all three of these are not write protected.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-07-07, 06:42 PM   #7
sildani
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I was able to verify that I have read access to the files... I edit them before I run the program, but the settings aren't picked up... then when I exit the game, the files I changed get overwritten with these defaults.

I tried something I had not tried before... I tried deleting the "Cache" folder and re-running WoW. Everything now saves correctly. Woot!

Sadly, I didn't check to see if I could read/write to the Cache folder, but either way, here's the lesson I learned: when I am going to install a new UI, backup (optionally) and delete the Cache folder. I'm going to post this in the UI forum as well in case someone else has this issue.

Thanks for the ideas and support!
12-07-07, 07:30 PM   #8
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
@Seerah: That's what I was actually trying to say... I have to re-read what I type when I'm that tired. Thanks for clarifying my ambiguous grammar.

@sildani: Deleting the cache folder would of been far down my list of things to try. Glad to know you got everything working now!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » WoW Interface Options not getting saved