04-22-07, 04:55 PM   #1
MasVegito
A Defias Bandit
Why Can't I Get Any Mods to Work?

So, here's the sitch: I have been to at least 100 different websites telling me how to install a mod, and they all say the same exact thing. I do exactly what they say, and i get NOTHING. I have tried several different map coord mods and cant get anything to work. The one I am trying right now is DIMapCoords. I downloaded it, unzipped it, made a folder, and extraced the zipped files to this folder.

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\DIMapCoords

In that DIMapCoords folder I have three .lua files and two .toc files. I don't have 2 different WoW directories, so thats not the problem. Everything seems to be in order, but when I load WoW, there is no AddOn button on the character select screen and the mod is not active in-game.

Any suggestions? I know a lot about computers but I am just ripping my hair out over this because it doesn't make any sense. Please help if you can.
04-22-07, 05:07 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Don't alter the folder heirarchy included with the zipped file. You are creating a new folder and either extracting the mod to inside that folder or dragging all the contents of the zip file in there. Just unzip the file- don't do anything extra.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-22-07, 05:17 PM   #3
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Easiest way I find to do it is I keep a folder called wow_addons on my desktop for easy d/l and finding. From there I (using WinZip) click on it and tell it to 'extract to here', and it will create a folder of the same name of the zip file with the needed files/structure within it. Form there, I just Cut/Paste into my WoW AddOns folder and go from there.

I am sure you have read this a dozen times if you have read other HowTos, so sorry if it sounds a bit repetitive.
04-22-07, 05:21 PM   #4
MasVegito
A Defias Bandit
Ok, I got it to work. Nobody ever told me that the name of the folder you put into the addons folder is crucial. I only assumed the name wouldn't make a difference. I extract files by dragging and dropping from winzip, so I didn't get a folder and had to make my own. Thank you very much for your help, i thought I was going crazy there for a while.
04-22-07, 08:39 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
When you open up WinZip to see what files are inside, it only shows you a list of what all is in there. It doesn't show you the file structure. So when you highlight them all and drag them out, it ditches the previous hierarchy.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-22-07, 11:08 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Which is why the information in our Installation FAQ says:

2. Extract the files to a folder on your desktop.

8. Your final path should look like:
< snip >
(where < ModAFolder > < .B. > < .C. > are the names of the actual folders that the mods create)

FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-23-07, 07:24 AM   #7
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah
When you open up WinZip to see what files are inside, it only shows you a list of what all is in there. It doesn't show you the file structure. So when you highlight them all and drag them out, it ditches the previous hierarchy.
If you are using WinZip, and during the install allowed it to add commands to the shell (or context menu), when you right click on a zipped file and go to the command for WinZip, one of the commands is 'extract to here'. If you use this, it will extract all the file to that location with the file structure intact. That is the easiest way to unzip using WinZip with WoW mods since most authors properly setup the structure before zipping.
04-23-07, 08:40 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by ReverendD
If you are using WinZip, and during the install allowed it to add commands to the shell (or context menu), when you right click on a zipped file and go to the command for WinZip, one of the commands is 'extract to here'. If you use this, it will extract all the file to that location with the file structure intact. That is the easiest way to unzip using WinZip with WoW mods since most authors properly setup the structure before zipping.
Right, this is what I do. I have my computer set up so that all downloads get put on my desktop. Then I highlight the addons I've just downloaded, right-click and select "extract to here", then drag all of those folders to my AddOns folder.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Why Can't I Get Any Mods to Work?