02-19-10, 07:53 PM   #1
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
So I'm about to switch to Linux...

So, I'm about to switch to Linux after all the amazing stuff I've read about it. Here's the thing though, I have a bunch of stuff saved on my C drive where my Windows 7 is installed and I'd like to save this. How would one do this without an external harddrive?

I'm thinking of getting the Linux installed on my F drive, as it's quite enough for an OS to run on. My C drive is 1TB and my F drive is 150GB and I have so much things to save on my C drive.
If I was to install Linux on my F drive, would I still be able to access my files on my C drive? Also, would I be able to uninstall Windows 7 from my C drive, keep Linux on my F drive, and still have all my saved images and stuff on my C drive?

I know this is all VERY messy, and I hope I've made my questions clear, else, I'll try to clarify.

Thank you all in advance!
- Wimp.
02-19-10, 08:33 PM   #2
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
(not sure about all but generally) all the distro's will install as dual boot by default if you have another os installed already, i have done this with windows 7 and ubuntu (among many many other versions of either windows or linux) but it is ALWAYS a excelent idea to have another backup just incase ..... you really never know if it's going to go as smoothly as it should.

oh, and for some reason.... if you decide to scrap linux later (or remove the HDD), the windows 7 repair tool for some reason doesn't detect that the computer is trying to boot to grub (linux boot loader) rather than the windows boot loader, and will not fix it (thus you'll have to reinstall everything, yada yada...) what I did.... is before removing linux, i used the backup tool in windows 7 (now does a real backup complete with system image and all) to back up the windows hdd then after reinstalling windows i ran the restore utility, all settings, drivers, absolutely everything was back to normal and peachy keen. (the restore did take a few hours though)

good luck in linux!! i LOVE linux, but it can be annoying here and there if you're not used to it (such as using WoW and Ventrilo, etc...)

Last edited by Aerials : 02-19-10 at 08:39 PM.
02-19-10, 08:33 PM   #3
cloudwolf
A Black Drake
I don't know enough about this but you could always install one of the installer versions of ubuntu linux that creates a partition on your hard drive which allows you to dual boot by selecting which OS you want to start up in through a window when turning on your computer.
02-19-10, 08:48 PM   #4
Aerials
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
actually, come to think of it i don't think it was the default to have it not replace windows, but it's got a big graphical thing, easy to figure out..... one thing though, i'm assuming you want to be able to access the windows hdd in linux, it's easiest to set that up when installing linux, if you're going to use ubuntu, it's pretty easy. you just use the graphical thing still, and when telling it what partition to use, i do custom then set it up to use windows, not reformat and mount the partition at /windows then have it set up 2 partitions on the other hdd, one for swap and one for ext3 or ext 4 for /root...

if that's confusing, just try it out without the access to windows hdd by having it use the other hdd in the non-custom settings.

good luck!!
02-19-10, 09:38 PM   #5
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Thanks Aerials! I'll see if I can get a hold of it. But, if I were to uninstall my windows (permantently) would I lose ALL of my data on that harddrive or just the Windows data?

Thanks, everyone!
02-19-10, 09:45 PM   #6
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I love Linux, I personally use Ubuntu v9.10 32bit on a USB Flash Drive and boot to it when I need it. I use Win7 as my Primary at the moment due to all the extensive gaming lately, but use Linux for a slew of things ranging from Programming to some other unmentionables.

Using this method it runs the smoothest, and allows me to not touch my main drive / computer. You can set up Linux with it's own usable & functional storage space on a USB Flash Drive. In fact, it's even on many of the Distro's Main Pages on how to do this. Pick a Distro, Put it on a Flash Drive, make sure to include it's own storage. 4GB seems to be the limit, but you'll be using your Windows drive for 'storage' of your main files, documents, music, photos, etc... so now you can access those files to & from both OSes, and have the Flash Drive with your portable Bootable Linux on it that can be Updated, Enhanced, Add Software, nice utilities for fixing other people's computers, etc... all on an easy to use Flash Drive that doesn't involve messing up anything.

Added Note(s): I used to primarily use Linux, and again, I LOVE it, so use it. Save your face, your data and your stress levels by goin' the Flash Drive route. Pickup a cheap 6GB one and use the 4GB setup, you will be pleased in every way. Keep the Gnome desktop, leave the others alone. You can have it Dual-Boot if you must, but once again, Flash setup is the best setup.

Last edited by Bornabe : 02-20-10 at 04:59 AM.
02-19-10, 10:50 PM   #7
Rabbit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Bornabe View Post
You won't be able to 'replace' Windows with Linux as your OS entirely, and those that say they do are lying, they have to use Windows for a multitude of things.
That is just complete nonsense, I have only used Linux on any computer I own for the past 7 years at least.
02-20-10, 02:41 PM   #8
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
So, I'm about to switch to Linux after all the amazing stuff I've read about it. Here's the thing though, I have a bunch of stuff saved on my C drive where my Windows 7 is installed and I'd like to save this. How would one do this without an external harddrive?

I'm thinking of getting the Linux installed on my F drive, as it's quite enough for an OS to run on. My C drive is 1TB and my F drive is 150GB and I have so much things to save on my C drive.
If I was to install Linux on my F drive, would I still be able to access my files on my C drive? Also, would I be able to uninstall Windows 7 from my C drive, keep Linux on my F drive, and still have all my saved images and stuff on my C drive?

I know this is all VERY messy, and I hope I've made my questions clear, else, I'll try to clarify.

Thank you all in advance!
- Wimp.
You may also want to consider Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) which will allow you to install Ubuntu Linux inside the free space on your C drive, without wiping out windows.
02-20-10, 02:49 PM   #9
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

When you do that though, you won't (at least I wasn't able to) be able to access those Windows files. I still suggest utilizing a small Flash Drive to dive into Linux, with a 4 GB persistance, you'll be able to do all you want to in linux, and utilize your Windows drive fully without partitioning or taking any risks at all.

I was wrong in a previous statement that you can't really replace Windows entirely, but in most cases, making the switch cold-turkey is very hard to do.

Take advantage of the folks here on WoWinterface as many do use Linux, including myself, to do pretty much everything, and WINE, Cedega, Codeweavers will all let you play Windows Games and use Windows Programs you can't live without, right inside Linux itself. Folks here are always helpful and full of knowledge that can help you.
02-20-10, 02:53 PM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I really need to get my act together and get that "Linux for WoW Players: tutorial put together. It's going to take a bit as I will have a lot of info to present and I need to do in a way that is newbie friendly. It's just a matter of finding the time as I have seem to misplaced a bunch (time) lately...
02-21-10, 10:21 AM   #11
NitraMo
A Fallenroot Satyr
One thing which haven't been mentioned yet is using virtualization software. This will allow you to run another OS in your already running OS. Saving you the hassle of restarting the computer when you want to switch.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

I run VitualBox in Win7 and can then play all games and run all windows apps the way they should be run. And then use some other OS (Ubuntu in my case) to do the tasks which are much easier to perform there.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » So I'm about to switch to Linux...