09-08-12, 12:46 AM   #1
lostdreamer
A Murloc Raider
Alternatives to Carbonite

Wowinsider did a post today on addons and mentioned our dear old carbonite. It includes many alternatives. I just wanted to post this here so if anyone was interested in just bailing from carbonite alltogether, they can:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/ad...addon-mailbag/

I, for one, appreciate that a fan is working on carbonite, but at this point, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and using alternative addons. I will miss this addon, but I have become WAY overdependent on it.

09-08-12, 01:08 AM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by lostdreamer View Post
Wowinsider did a post today on addons and mentioned our dear old carbonite. It includes many alternatives. I just wanted to post this here so if anyone was interested in just bailing from carbonite alltogether, they can:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/09/06/ad...addon-mailbag/

I, for one, appreciate that a fan is working on carbonite, but at this point, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and using alternative addons. I will miss this addon, but I have become WAY overdependent on it.
>< I feel kinda famous being mentioned by name lol

09-08-12, 02:07 AM   #3
lostdreamer
A Murloc Raider
I was thinking it was pretty kick a** that they mentioned you as well, lol. They must be reading out little forums.

That website always ignored Carbonite before now, being the elitists they are, god forbid that they mention a popular addon.

I am testing out some of their "alternatives" now, I think I like most of them, but desperately want the quest/map from Carbonite. The other things do work well, I just want my map. SO need a standalone version of it.

09-08-12, 05:40 AM   #4
Xcari
A Fallenroot Satyr
Rythal's update works fine - see no need for alternatives at this point. Thanks Rythal, now famous on WoW Insider : )

09-08-12, 06:36 AM   #5
samatina
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Xcari View Post
Rythal's update works fine - see no need for alternatives at this point. Thanks Rythal, now famous on WoW Insider : )
Agreed, the addon is working fine for me as well, and I for one, LIKE all the extras that carbonite comes with, right down to the friends list and chat channels. I do think it's awesome though that another website is recognizing the work that Rythal is doing.

09-08-12, 08:19 AM   #6
Hexhiss
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by samatina View Post
Agreed, the addon is working fine for me as well, and I for one, LIKE all the extras that carbonite comes with, right down to the friends list and chat channels. I do think it's awesome though that another website is recognizing the work that Rythal is doing.
The patch from Rythal DOES work, but I am still having minor bugs with the minimap and pet dismissal on my hunter. I use nUI along with Carbonite and a few other addons, and this is the first time that I have had to turn carbonite off in order to change pets on my hunter. Is the author EVER going to update the original code to work with MoP?

09-09-12, 01:27 PM   #7
Haggisdog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up Carbonite Alternatives

Thanks for sharing this, honestly Carbonite is such an amazing addition to the game I'm surprised Blizz didn't work something out with the authors to port this functionality into the product itself... the map alone is a massive improvement.

09-09-12, 02:27 PM   #8
vixenkitsune
A Murloc Raider
strange screen shots

ok in all the time i have played wow i have never seen wow set up like how i have seen in those screen shots they are so weird looking to me what are you using to make them so off from how normally looks?

09-09-12, 03:21 PM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by vixenkitsune View Post
ok in all the time i have played wow i have never seen wow set up like how i have seen in those screen shots they are so weird looking to me what are you using to make them so off from how normally looks?
nUI is the base in both those screenshots and 95% of the screen layout.

09-09-12, 07:18 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
IF you don't really have, or want to use, another action bar slot to put the "Dismiss Pet" spell on, you could try CustomButtons. You can put just one "button" on your screen and drop that spell into it, and not have to take up another action bar slot. It's 5.0.4 ready, too.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

09-11-12, 04:44 PM   #11
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
nUI is the base in both those screenshots and 95% of the screen layout.
IMHO, nUI is just as important for game play as Carbonite. If you're not using nUI, you should be!

If you decide to use nUI, and have Carbonite installed, then you should definitely also get the nUI InfoPanel 'Carbonite (continued) plugin. This lets you place the Carbonite mini-map into the lower right chat panel with its own chat frame). You will definitely love it.

Last edited by Coasty : 09-11-12 at 04:48 PM.

09-12-12, 03:40 PM   #12
Sangre
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The only thing I'd like to have is the zoomable map with the quest helper.

If someone wrote a standalone with just that -- I think many of us would give up on Carbonite altogether.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Alternatives to Carbonite