11-27-08, 12:54 PM   #1
Halstrom
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Target Cycler

Please bear with me here. This idea could be a very useful addon but I'm not sure if it's possible to make it, and, with absolutely no idea of what to do with lua, xmls or tocs, despite really trying hard to get my head round it, I don't have the skills to even get near attempting this myself.

It may be that I've missed something and there are relatively simple ways of going about this problem, but from the answers Google has cooed at me, I'm pretty sure there's not.

So, the idea is one i'm sure others have had: some kind of targeting system for raid icons, that can recognise skull, x, star etc without the player having to click each new target... and i mean for normal party members during fights, not for leaders to conveniently pick the targets, something which targets the icons themselves once they've been placed...

My poor mage was getting jammed in the snake room in Gundrak, trying to target the skull but either getting the rubbish lvl1 snakes or the blue square, due to too many mobs being present to get any deft left clicks in or use Tab to cycle the targets. It was horrible, but it seemed there could be a simple solution and I started thinking about a targetting mod.

From what I can tell, a macro for when you're in party which will target, say, moon for sheep, is only usable if someone else is targetting the sheep. Which is a bit useless.

During searching, I saw something on the official forum about Blizzard removing the ability to target NPCs by their raid icon in a patch sometime before I started playing the game, so I don't know if a similar mod to what I'm hoping for existed and had to be pulped or not.

But the idea could be delivered in a couple of ways:

an auto-target cycler, with a GUI allowing you to select raid icons in order (ie skull, x, star, square). You can then blast skull, it dies, the mod realises the skull icon has disappeared, recognises the X is still present, and moves target to it.

or

if that's a bit dodgy as you may well be able to set a bot to go mad with it, would it work as a simple button rack mod with each icon as a button, in a frame placeable anywhere on screen, so you can click the skull button, it will target it, then click x etc as and when you need to change target?

If this is negotiable through other means and I'm being utterly stupid please forgive me and I thank you for your time. Please enlighten me if i'm in the dark.

But certainly, I think a bank of icon buttons for raid members to be able to pick out targets in crowded situations might be really useful, even if it's replicable through macros.

As I said, I wouldn't know where to start with this due to lack of any computer skills whatsoever, so if anyone thinks this is doable, please go on and do it
11-27-08, 01:01 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I think this thread is about the same question as you're asking, and it seems that the only solution that comes closest to this is the addon Seerah posted there. But from what I've read the addon can only tell you which target has the mark, and you can't actually target them based on that.
11-27-08, 01:01 PM   #3
tinyu
A Molten Giant

any type of auto targeting is not possible and those raid icons cannot be targeted, good idea but not possible at all.
11-27-08, 01:29 PM   #4
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Halstrom View Post
During searching, I saw something on the official forum about Blizzard removing the ability to target NPCs by their raid icon in a patch sometime before I started playing the game, so I don't know if a similar mod to what I'm hoping for existed and had to be pulped or not.
This was possible for a couple of months between the release of Naxxramas (they added those symbols in the same patch) and the 2.0 patch, because in WoW 1.x, addons had much greater freedom to target and cast spells (see, for example, the original Decursive).
11-27-08, 01:43 PM   #5
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

The mention of Decursive, kind of sparked an idea, but I'm not sure if Blizz will allow the "remembering" of mobs that have been targeted already

If it's not possible to target the mobs with an addon, would it be possible to take a few seconds before the fight and put a tag on specific mods that will remember those mobs, and create a clickable frame that you would have to click on to target that mob once your current target is dead. I know this is a very slight distinction from what the OP is asking for, but instead of the addon targeting for you, you would still have to click on a frame to acquire the target. This way before the fight starts, the leader can mark the targets, and then the raid/group members can go through and "tag" their mobs for future targeting.

Just a thought.
11-27-08, 02:57 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This only works for arena type mods because they are player units and you can target by name. (Though anything found after combat starts would be non-targetable.) Mobs, though, you cannot target via their GUID and there are multiple mobs with the same name.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-27-08, 03:57 PM   #7
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
This uses a *lot* of screen real estate, but allows you to click on a target you've already had at some point, and shows the symbol on the list so you can click it. TList.
11-27-08, 05:18 PM   #8
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Kleo View Post
This uses a *lot* of screen real estate, but allows you to click on a target you've already had at some point, and shows the symbol on the list so you can click it. TList.
yeah but...:
The mob must be added to the list while out of combat.
The mob must have a unique name.
If the mob has no unique name it can be clickable too. But it's not assured that the right mob will be targeted.
TList just targets the nearest mob with the corresponding name. This must not be the mob you clicked on if this mob is not the nearest mob with that name. It must not even a mob in the list!
Due to this all mobs without unique name will be show ad no-clickable (half transparent) as default - even if they are added out of combat.
11-27-08, 06:32 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
yeah but...:
Yep. Pretty much just like what I linked and what I said was the limitations.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-27-08, 10:20 PM   #10
Halstrom
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Yeah the second part was getting at the same kinda thing as LittleBuddha, a blank plate of icons that selected them by button press. If it's not possible, then hey ho...

I genuinely hadn't seen Narune's post before I put mine up, so now thinking it's a bit bloody weird it was within such a similar timeframe... memes ay? perhaps he had the same problem i'd had...

thanks all so much for your replies can kinda understand why they'd want to stop an easy auto-targetting system for obvious reasons, bit of a shame nonetheless

cheers

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Target Cycler