04-17-10, 11:09 AM   #1
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The edit box font, Outliner

Hi all,

I'm currently using idChat as my chat frame mod, but since I'm using a tiny pixel font, I decided to also install Outliner in order to give all the text a neat little border.

However, I still cannot figure out how to modify the font in the edit box in any way, shape or form: ideally, I'd like to be able to down-size it and give it the same thin border that the rest of my text has.

Also, maybe's there a way to make Outliner's effect apply to every font in the game? It just seems to be such a nicer style of outline, rather than having a thick shadow at the bottom right, which every other "outline" option in all my addons seems to have. I'd love to be able to apply this effect to all my addons and the rest of the UI, if possible. (For example, I used this solution to outline all the fonts in Skada, but this also gives them the heavy black shadow, rather than the nice, clean outline I'm trying to achieve).
04-17-10, 11:22 AM   #2
nin
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i don't use idchat but this is prob what you should look for or add..

Code:
ChatFrameEditBox:SetFont("fontpath", size, "fontflag")
and to get rid of the shadow in skada..

Code:
bar.label:SetShadowColor(0,0,0,0)
bar.timerLabel:SetShadowColor(0,0,0,0)
04-17-10, 12:19 PM   #3
Wella

Hey nin, thanks for the fast reply.

I tried adding
Code:
-- editbox font
ChatFrameEditBox:SetFont(nil, 10, "THINOUTLINE")
near the end of idChat's Addon.lua, but this makes no difference to the edit box font - in fact, the edit box is now underneath the chat window, instead of above it, like it normally is.

And I tried searching for the keyword 'Shadow' in all of the .lua files I could find in Skada's addon folder, but there were none.

Sorry, but I really don't know anything about LUA, so you're going to have to treat me like a total noob - where do I add stuff, etc.

Thanks!
04-17-10, 12:25 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Why did you use nil instead of the path to the font you want to use?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-17-10, 12:46 PM   #5
Wella

Didn't really know what to put there, haha. However:

I switched back over to Prat and managed to change the edit box font to have an outline around it, however this is still the thick, shadow-y type of outline that looks really rather ugly. I've hunted for the 'Shadow' keyword again, but can't find anything to remove the shadow. Also, the text at the left of the editbox, before the message is typed (e.g. "Say:") remains unchanged. Maybe there is some way to remove this little piece of text entirely? Might not be a practical solution, but the editbox text is always coloured to the current channel anyway. It would be nice.

I just wonder if there is some way to change the global font of the game to have this kind of outline. I'm not really sure how Outliner achieved it, but here is the LUA from Outliner:
Code:
for i = 1, 7 do
    local chat = _G["ChatFrame"..i]
    local font, size = chat:GetFont()
    chat:SetFont(font, size, "THINOUTLINE")
    chat:SetShadowOffset(0, 0)
    chat:SetShadowColor(0, 0, 0, 0)
end
Yes, that is it. I'm guessing it's to do with the "SetShadowOffset" and "SetShadowColor" parts, but I'm unsure of how to translate this into any other addon. The main two I want to change right now are Scrolling Combat Text + SCT Damage, and Skada.

Edit: Also, as a little aside, does anyone know what the hell's wrong with Shadowed UnitFrames? All I see is black boxes instead of unit frames. It's really annoying me because I can't stand to use Pitbull and ag_UnitFrames just doesn't have the features I need. Can anyone recommend another good UF mod, perhaps?
04-17-10, 04:51 PM   #6
nin
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i myself don't know of any addon that can help you with font settings in a whole ui.. if you use a lot of addons it don't think it's a very easy addon too make.

So i think you need to accept that you have too change the settings in the specific addon that you want too change you font settings with.

in a lot of ui's the shadow part that i posted is not included, hence the shadow.. if you add it it will go away..

did you try the code i posted about skada?
04-17-10, 05:07 PM   #7
Wella

Well like I said, I'm a total newb to LUA and I have no idea where to put the code. Sorry for being a bit slow, but the BarDisplay.lua file is large and I don't want to mess anything up.

Also, any idea how this could be applied to SCT and SCTD? (And, of course, the edit box font and pre-message font, again.)

Thanks!
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » The edit box font, Outliner