10-16-12, 02:23 AM   #1
Shwartzs37
A Murloc Raider

ADDON Check box in character screen

So I decided to come back to WOW after 2 years, Had personal life matters to attend. Anyways...

So I down loaded addon and then extracted them and added to Wow interface addon folder etc.

I log into WOW and get to character select screen and dont see in bottom left corner the option to check for addons. WHY?

And what do I need to do in order to get that option. Cause obviously I havent got the addons to work otherwise I wouldn't be here asking for assistance!
10-16-12, 02:48 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Having trouble installing addons?
FAQ: Installing AddOns

search is awesome.
10-16-12, 03:36 AM   #3
Shwartzs37
A Murloc Raider

Guess you didnt read my post, you send me links to stuff I've already done, I asking as to why I dont see the option of addons at select screen, Not asking for someone to give me a link to installing them, I noticed on many posts in forums , you in general give that same link out to many and as I read whats being asked on most of there topics , your not really taking the time to resolve the issue, your justing pointing fingers as to where to go and be done with it, why do you bother wasting your time to give information to those that dont need that link , we beyond those two links , We are trying to understand why after doing all of what was said in done in those links you provided to explain why there is no option to addons on characters select screen , suppose to be bottom left, So some say go get Curse game client, but I'm trying to avoid curse, And trying to stay with WoW interface, I noticed there was a client installation from this site, and I tried it and not sure totally what folder to put under. Although I tried them all and still nothing worked. So instead of being lazy with links , try typing a message with explanation otherwise. Dont bother , I'll eventually find someone who has time to do some sort of walk through other then you just posting a stupid link of stuff I already said and done!
10-16-12, 03:44 AM   #4
Shwartzs37
A Murloc Raider

I dont mean to sound rude here but some of you look at us as being a pain, and we look at you as being somewhat not thorough in what help means, I've already spent enough hours trying to do this and going to all angles of researching this and trying to do this alone. Forums is suppose to be a direct link to more direct details other then , he here is a link , this will help you. If I wanted a link I woud go click on link thats all over forums, I'm asking for help directly, so if your going to send me link , save your time, cause your obviously not worth helping.
10-16-12, 04:19 AM   #5
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Shwartzs37 View Post
So I decided to come back to WOW after 2 years, Had personal life matters to attend. Anyways...

So I down loaded addon and then extracted them and added to Wow interface addon folder etc.

I log into WOW and get to character select screen and dont see in bottom left corner the option to check for addons. WHY?

And what do I need to do in order to get that option. Cause obviously I havent got the addons to work otherwise I wouldn't be here asking for assistance!
Although the response could've been more clear - it wasn't wrong. From what I've seen, the Addons button won't show up if the game doesn't find any addons, so the point remains that you didn't install them correctly.

It's important to note that the addon's toc/xml files must be only one folder deep - meaning if you extracted them from a zip/rar file, and elected to have it unzipped into a sub folder - you might have inadvertently made it so the said files were actually two deep.

In simple terms...

If you go to World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons, click on the folder of one you installed, and don't see the toc/xml files - you need to take the folders you find inside, and move those to the /Addons folder.
10-16-12, 04:38 AM   #6
Shwartzs37
A Murloc Raider

Thanks Digital, I'll look into it.. appreciate the further explained details
10-16-12, 05:57 AM   #7
tinyu
A Molten Giant

If you used the default install options and you're using Windows Vista or later here is where you install your addons.

C:\users\public\games\World of Warcraft\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

If you used the default install options and you're using Windows XP here is where you install your addons.

C: \Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

When I played WoW (Using Win7) I had my install location set to...

C:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\

Which made it alot easier to deal with my AddOns.

All this information is in the first link I posted.

If your not seeing the AddOns button appear in the character select screen then you have installed your addons incorrectly.

Last edited by tinyu : 10-16-12 at 06:25 AM.
10-16-12, 07:21 AM   #8
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

New installations of World of Warcraft are now installed into the 'Program Files (x86)' ('Program Files' on 32-bit systems) folder by default on all versions of Windows. Blizzard previously chose to install into the 'Users' folder, because the game client didn't yet support Vista's new security features—UAC Virtualization, to be specific.
10-16-12, 12:56 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Hi Shwartzs37,

Is there any chance you have two installations of WoW on your system? If so, that is likely what your problem is. You may be installing your addons in one copy but you're actually running from another. The easiest way to check is to right click on your WoW launch icon, go to properties and check the "target" or "start in" box. If it doesn't match where you are installing your addons, then that's the problem and the fix is pretty much self evident.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-16-12, 03:26 PM   #10
Phanx
Cat.

After you've logged into WoW once, search your computer for a folder named "Blizzard_AchievementUI". It's one of the fake Blizzard "addon" folders the game creates in the AddOns folder it's actually using. Put your addons in the same folder.
10-17-12, 12:31 AM   #11
Shwartzs37
A Murloc Raider

Much appreciative to all who went out of their way to assist, I spent hours and hours trying to figure this out, Its been fixed. I had to go through many YouTube videos to see what I was doing wrong. I was trying so hard to avoid having to add curse client into my system, 2 years ago I was all tied up into wow, I used only curse client, and when I went to take curse out of my system , it was an absolute mess trying to remove it. And it tends to slow your pc down with all of its added garbage. anyways thank you all , I got everything working. Much Appreciative from all....
10-17-12, 01:07 AM   #12
Sharparam
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Shwartzs37 View Post
anyways thank you all , I got everything working. Much Appreciative from all....:banana:
Maybe you should post your solution, in case someone else stumbles upon this topic with the same problem. :P

(Related: reddit/r/programming/comments/f7rzb/oh_so_thats_how_stackoverlow_works/c1dy2g5 ?)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » ADDON Check box in character screen