09-09-14, 03:17 AM   #1
kaernunnos
A Defias Bandit
Strange problems in Shrine

I just recently switched to RealUI, and over the past few day I've had strange FPS issues while inside the shrine. My FPS drops to <5, but only while inside the shrine. To make things weirder, it only happens when either the camera or my character moves. While outside, or anywhere else (including a 40 man Ordos, so no, its not graphics) everything is fine. I'm not seeing anything in chat about addon errors. The fps problem doesn't happen every time though, and relogging usually fixes it. /console reloadui does not. I have the most recent version installed.

The addons I've added to the Realui package are:
oQueue
Altoholic
Atlasloot
Affdots (curently disabled)
Auctionator
AMR
Combustionhelper
HaloPro
Tradeskillmaster
TomTom
WeakAuras2
09-09-14, 10:54 AM   #2
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The culprit may very well be HaloPro. Try disabling it and see if that helps otherwise disable all addons you listed and re-enable 1 by 1.

Last edited by jeruku : 09-09-14 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarity
09-09-14, 11:00 AM   #3
geekyadam
A Black Drake

Some ideas:
  • Change RealUI performance setting - RealUI has 3 built-in settings for speed/performance. Click the RealUI icon lower left corner of your screen, and up near the top of the list that pops up, there should be an option to change the performance/speed setting. Try setting it to economy and see if that helps improve the issue. Of course, if the issue is a glitch somewhere, then this setting shouldn't make too much difference.
  • /memory - Right when the issue happens, type "/memory" and scroll up to see the highest RAM usage of your addons to see if one or two specific addons are causing the issue.
  • HaloPro - I haven't used it myself, but when looking at what HaloPro does, it seems like it tries to keep track of all nearby players/npcs to see how many would be hit with a Halo spell from a priest character. If that is always turned on, then I would expect your CPU/RAM to start churning whenever nearby many other players. Now, if you are able to run 40-man raids without a hiccup, then maybe that's not the issue. If you do suspect it's causing the issue, then maybe there's a setting for the addon that only enables it when in an instance?
  • Disable addons - If all else fails, disable all addons except for RealUI and see if you can replicate the issue.
    • If the issue persists with only RealUI enabled, I'd try a fresh reinstall of RealUI. Backup your Interface and WTF folders, then delete them and install only RealUI into your Interfaces folder.
    • If the issue stops happening when only RealUI is enabled, then the issue lies with another addon. Start enabling one addon at a time to find out which one causes the issue.
09-09-14, 04:55 PM   #4
HearthCore
An Aku'mai Servant
I've had this problem with _NPCscan. since disabling that, no more.
09-12-14, 11:33 PM   #5
kaernunnos
A Defias Bandit
I wasn't able to find the addon cause, but I did isolate the user error cause. It only happens if am tabbed out during the initial login loading screen. I assume this prevents an addon from properly loading, causing the problem.
09-15-14, 08:18 AM   #6
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by kaernunnos View Post
It only happens if am tabbed out during the initial login loading screen. I assume this prevents an addon from properly loading, causing the problem.
Tabbing out of the game should have no effect on the addon loading process at all, so you're describing a fairly bizarre symptom.

It's possible that a poorly written addon is expecting events to fire in a certain order and tabbing out is delaying events that would normally fire sooner.

oQueue is one of the worst-written addons I have ever seen, and if you're running it then that is immediately the first suspect for any problems you might be experiencing.
09-15-14, 12:44 PM   #7
geekyadam
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by kaernunnos View Post
I wasn't able to find the addon cause, but I did isolate the user error cause. It only happens if am tabbed out during the initial login loading screen. I assume this prevents an addon from properly loading, causing the problem.
As semlar said above, addons should not have issues loading just because the WoW.exe window does not have focus. You should disable all addons except RealUI, then enable one at a time and trying to replicate the issue to track down the addon cause.

Once you know which addon is causing the error, you should ask in that addon's support forums.
11-04-15, 01:40 AM   #8
inaccage
A Defias Bandit
I had the same FPS drop in Dalaran sewers and also in the Cleft of Shadow (Orgrimmar), until i found this

Originally Posted by HearthCore View Post
I've had this problem with _NPCscan. since disabling that, no more.
I cannot thank you enough, HearthCore. I had disabled almost everything and i couldn't find what the hell was happening. I thought i was having some trouble with my video card already.

And yes, sorry for bump this old thread, but this made my day and i think this could be useful for somebody else.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » RealUI » Strange problems in Shrine