01-29-07, 12:40 AM   #1
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

Cool How to Compress into an EXE file.

Hey Everyone.

I got an Addon Compilation that I want to post on WoWInterface.com (Among other sties.). So, I would like to know how people compress there addons into EXE Installers and add all the options for installation. Now, I know about Making SFX Library's with WinRAR, compression is not to great. I see some comp's on this site that have 40-70 MB worth of addons in a simple 8MB download, with a decent installer and nice install options. So, if anyone can help me with this, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Chris Kader
[email protected]
Neotu <Delta Tau Xi> Level 62 Tauren Hunter - Madoran
01-29-07, 01:20 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just to make a suggestion: If you decide you want to release it as an .exe, also make a .zip version available. This day and age, a lot of folks are (understandably) concerned about using executables. My suggestion would be to upload the zip version as the main and make the exe version as a "plugin" version to it or some such.

Also remember, if you do choose to upload an exe, we will want source code from you. We will delete the source before we push it live for folks to download, you don't have to worry about having someone "steal" your source, but that is a requirement we hold all authors to. We do allow executables, but only after we have checked them thoroughly. That's for everyone's protection. Users know they can trust anything they get from this site as being "clean", you as the author and we as the hosts don't get folks claiming that we are distributing anything malicious. Everyone benefits.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-29-07, 01:27 AM   #3
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I have uploaded an EXE file before, but it was just a WinRAR SFX Library, nothing fantastic. And that was pre 2.0. I have gotten more into addons and wanted to share my creation with others. Thanks for the heads up.

Chris Kader
[email protected]
Neotu <Delta Tau Xi> Level 62 Tauren Hunter - Madoran
"What we do in life, Echoes in Eternity." - MDM, Gladiator

Last edited by Neotu : 01-29-07 at 01:34 AM.
01-30-07, 01:13 AM   #4
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

So I take it that none of the many Mod authors that post custom EXE Installers can tell me how they do it?
01-30-07, 01:20 AM   #5
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Neotu
So I take it that none of the many Mod authors that post custom EXE Installers can tell me how they do it?
The WhoMod compilation I am building up is distributed as an InnoSetup installer: WhoMod

And here is how it is done: Installer

Nothing really fancy in the installer yet, but it saves a lot of time updating the addons...
01-30-07, 01:23 AM   #6
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

Now, does this compress the files like I want it to do? Because like I said before, I have downloaded Addon Packs that are 8 MB downloads and it extracts into 70MB+ of mods.

EDIT: I was not able to goto the link you gave me for WhoGaming.com. So I just Googled InnoSetup and I am downloading it now. From what I read on the site, it does what I need it to do, hopefully it is easy to use. I am very computer literate but I am not "Code" literate lol

Last edited by Neotu : 01-30-07 at 01:32 AM.
01-30-07, 01:30 AM   #7
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Neotu
Now, does this compress the files like I want it to do? Because like I said before, I have downloaded Addon Packs that are 8 MB downloads and it extracts into 70MB+ of mods.
Yes it includes 7-Zip LZMA file compression at the default (max) level. This currently brings WhoMod from around 50MB down to a 8MB EXE file.
01-30-07, 01:35 AM   #8
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

Awesome, this program will do what I need. Thanks alot. Expect to see a nice compilation on WoWInterface soon. As soon as I can get a decent Tool Tip addon that will work with my HUD I will start the packing process. Thanks again.
01-30-07, 01:44 AM   #9
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

wow. I did not realize that coding was involved. /sigh This will be a long night.
02-01-07, 01:42 AM   #10
Archos
A Theradrim Guardian

OK guys, I tried InnoSetup. I am not good at coding and I need decent install options. Like:

-Users Choose what class they are installing this pack for
-Users can choose what addons they want installed
-Allows me to install the WTF folder that I made so users done spend hours setting up the compilation themselves. And what I mean is they Choose the character(s) they want these settings on and it will install them in that folder.
-Has a GOOD compression ratio.
02-01-07, 10:43 AM   #11
Wikwocket
A Theradrim Guardian
As far as installers go, in my opinion you can't do better than NSIS. This is the installer that was developed for Winamp, and is now used in many applications. It is extremely customizable, creates very lightweight fast installers, and is free. Some coding and configuration is necessary to get it working, but there may be templates you can use.

Here is a link to info about it, with further links to get it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSIS

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » How to Compress into an EXE file.