02-12-07, 03:40 AM   #81
triple
A Kobold Labourer
Regarding art - Maybe its personal preference, maybe its my minimalistic approach, I just cant get over the whole steel artwork. Its not that its bad, I just prefer no artwork besides what WoW itself displays.

Now, I've previously used eePanels to config my bottom screen bar - fairly easy, configurable opacity, color, border, things like that.

Would it be possible to, not even make more themes - just make an option to turn the artwork off completely and replace it with some configurable plain panels? Does that option even exist already hidden deep within the ui addon?

02-12-07, 06:11 AM   #82
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by triple
Regarding art - Maybe its personal preference, maybe its my minimalistic approach, I just cant get over the whole steel artwork. Its not that its bad, I just prefer no artwork besides what WoW itself displays.

Now, I've previously used eePanels to config my bottom screen bar - fairly easy, configurable opacity, color, border, things like that.

Would it be possible to, not even make more themes - just make an option to turn the artwork off completely and replace it with some configurable plain panels? Does that option even exist already hidden deep within the ui addon?
No, it doesn't exist. While I've always wanted to add themes, I don't think a blank one would really work. Many things in the UI, for example the hotspots and the target window, would be really awkward without textures delineating where things should be.

02-12-07, 06:12 AM   #83
jamesy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

Yes, several people have suggested that now. From the add-on description, I don't quite get the allure, but I'll check it out.

I'm not sure about the searchable database, but it does have all that other stuff with waypoints and tracking quest givers. I have seen an import addon as well, though I've never tried it.

Well, you'd have to specify a layout for me to make sense of that question. Anyway, all of the layouts were designed in DAB and I translated them into a general format that I use to configure Bongos. DAB's floaters would get translated into its own bar. Some layouts have bars organized functionality, so there can indeed be some short or even empty bars if you are lower level.
I find Questfu to be more compact in its design, has the co-cords of the quest giver in the quest discription, is Ace'd and the way it monitors quest objectives is better than MQ. This alone makes up for the fact that yes maybe it doesn't look as polished as MQ but it functions better imo. Take a look at how it manages to put all the info you need in one window http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/full6863.jpg when MQ needs two.

On the subject of Cartographer: Yes it does monitor quest givers, vendors and skill trainers which is fine but MetaMap/WKDB can record ALL npc's that you mouseover so if you're looking for a specific Mob or non quest giving npc you will be able to find them easily by the use of a searchable database (which can be applied to just the zone you are in) and you can download fan updates for your database. Overall it's a very powerful add-on.

I understand why Bongo's has an unusual set up now that you've explained, and it didn't take me long to change it to what I wanted. I also removed the XP bar for my demon in DUF, having used discord mods for ages it was easy for me but I can see this being a problem for novices (maybe you should consider removing it for warlocks).

One more thing, i'm lot a big lover of the cast bar, it's quite small as I was used to EcastingBar http://www.wowinterface.com/download...forWoW2.0.html which is very good has a timer on it, you can have target/focus/mirror bar on screen all with timers and fully scalable and has a few different textures. Worth a look. I know i could resize the current one it in DUF/DART but I will probally use ECB and try and get your border around it (fingers crossed).

Just to say again Maz it's a great UI and a massive improvement to my old one. It has all my favourite Mods and seems to run far smoother and be bug free when compared to my old one.
Thanks for all your hard work and commitment.
PS Keep the yell!

02-12-07, 11:24 AM   #84
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jamesy
I find Questfu to be more compact in its design, has the co-cords of the quest giver in the quest discription, is Ace'd and the way it monitors quest objectives is better than MQ. This alone makes up for the fact that yes maybe it doesn't look as polished as MQ but it functions better imo. Take a look at how it manages to put all the info you need in one window http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/full6863.jpg when MQ needs two.
First of all, something being "Ace'd" means nothing in and of itself. I love the ace libraries, but it does not mean an add-on is better on any metric. It's an unfair assumption that many people are making nowadays. Second, I don't see how that screenshot is a combination of both MQ windows. It seems to be a straight up equivalent of the quest log window.

That said, I do like that it shows the coordinates of the quest giver in the description. I'll check it out.

On the subject of Cartographer: Yes it does monitor quest givers, vendors and skill trainers which is fine but MetaMap/WKDB can record ALL npc's that you mouseover so if you're looking for a specific Mob or non quest giving npc you will be able to find them easily by the use of a searchable database (which can be applied to just the zone you are in) and you can download fan updates for your database. Overall it's a very powerful add-on.
Yeah, earlier versions of the UI did use Metamap. It's definitely very powerful. It was just a lot more than I wanted.

One more thing, i'm lot a big lover of the cast bar, it's quite small as I was used to EcastingBar http://www.wowinterface.com/download...forWoW2.0.html which is very good has a timer on it, you can have target/focus/mirror bar on screen all with timers and fully scalable and has a few different textures. Worth a look. I know i could resize the current one it in DUF/DART but I will probally use ECB and try and get your border around it (fingers crossed).
Yeah, I don't know. I've never been a fan of casting bar mods. Personally, I don't find much utility in seeing the actual numbers counting down. I could see it being nice to have a larger bar to read the text more clearly, but space in that area is already at a premium.

02-12-07, 11:32 AM   #85
psyne
A Kobold Labourer
Agreed. While I like 95% of the UI package, the textures on the bottom panel (the tile and steel) are one of the major deal breakers. I think they actually detract from the minimal feel. That, coupled with the base font for all the mazzleUI menus, etc being too small for me to read on my 1280x800 laptop ('ve played with sizesl, and some just don't work out), make me keep going back to my old UI. I think setting up a "plain" bottom panel would be great for a lot of people. You can keep the border there, but just replace the texture with a solid color.

Over all, I think this is an awesome compilation, and there are a bunch of features that I wish I had thought of.

02-12-07, 11:39 AM   #86
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

As for those who are suggesting for MetaMap other than Carto. I agree with them as well, and it doesn't drop my fps as well and same goes for Carto.

Yeah, I don't know. I've never been a fan of casting bar mods. Personally, I don't find much utility in seeing the actual numbers counting down. I could see it being nice to have a larger bar to read the text more clearly, but space in that area is already at a premium.
I agree, I don't see any reason to use different cast bar other than what Mazzle has right now.

Originally Posted by psyne
Agreed. While I like 95% of the UI package, the textures on the bottom panel (the tile and steel) are one of the major deal breakers. I think they actually detract from the minimal feel. That, coupled with the base font for all the mazzleUI menus, etc being too small for me to read on my 1280x800 laptop ('ve played with sizesl, and some just don't work out), make me keep going back to my old UI. I think setting up a "plain" bottom panel would be great for a lot of people. You can keep the border there, but just replace the texture with a solid color.

Over all, I think this is an awesome compilation, and there are a bunch of features that I wish I had thought of.
Hmmm I don't think Mazzle meant this UI to be minimal in the first place. Back then, UIs were more into graphics than minimal like today and her UI was from back then.

Last edited by 123noob : 02-12-07 at 11:43 AM.

02-12-07, 12:18 PM   #87
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by psyne

I did something like this for myself. With Mazzle's permission, I dont mind posting a screenshot of the mod. Mazz?

02-12-07, 12:20 PM   #88
daxs
A Murloc Raider
Got no reply so lemme ask this again...

Originally Posted by daxs
I saw someone ask about a energy regen ticker mod, but no reply so I'll ask again.

I would love to see the addon "tick" included in MUI. It is a tiny addon, shows numerical combo points, energy totals, timing of energy reticks, and very cusomizable.

Even if you don't want to add "tick", (maybe it's a memory hog?) some kind of mod to watch my energy regen is desperately needed for rogues.

Thanks

02-12-07, 01:05 PM   #89
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Got no reply so lemme ask this again...
I'd post it in the add-on selection thread. I don't play a rogue, so I don't know much about it. Perhaps other people who do can chime in.

02-12-07, 01:06 PM   #90
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by dorlf
I did something like this for myself. With Mazzle's permission, I dont mind posting a screenshot of the mod. Mazz?
Sure, go ahead.

02-12-07, 01:11 PM   #91
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by 123noob
Hmmm I don't think Mazzle meant this UI to be minimal in the first place. Back then, UIs were more into graphics than minimal like today and her UI was from back then.
Yeah, that's not really true. Read the add-on description. I definitely shoot for minimal space usage.

02-12-07, 01:17 PM   #92
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I saw someone ask about a energy regen ticker mod, but no reply so I'll ask again.

I would love to see the addon "tick" included in MUI. It is a tiny addon, shows numerical combo points, energy totals, timing of energy reticks, and very cusomizable.

Even if you don't want to add "tick", (maybe it's a memory hog?) some kind of mod to watch my energy regen is desperately needed for rogues.

Thanks
A quick search on this site produced these two promising results:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ogueFocus.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...2-kEnergy.html

02-12-07, 03:17 PM   #93
deepfriedspam
A Murloc Raider
May I suggest MonkeyQuestFu be added to the UI? It improves what I think Mazzle wanted in conservation of the screen space, and even works just dropped in, as the hotspot still brings it up normally as a tooltip from FuBar. And having a running count of quests I have saves time when getting new quests, and knowing how close I am to the limit.

02-12-07, 03:34 PM   #94
123noob
A Frostmaul Preserver

Yeah, that's not really true. Read the add-on description. I definitely shoot for minimal space usage.
Ooooh.... I just read it over lol... but yah but I was partially correct right?

02-12-07, 04:02 PM   #95
daxs
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by dorlf
I know there are stand alone mods that do this, I was just trying to make a case for having it integrated into MUI rather than a separate addon.

Unless I am missing something there isnt a place in the HUD or anywhere else to monitor your energy regen timing.

Tick installs jsut fine separately so its mostly a /shrug

02-12-07, 06:00 PM   #96
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Sure, go ahead.
Ok, so attached is a screenie of my modded UI. My goal was to squeeze a little more out of the panel space, especially because I had to up the font size a tad to help my eyes (not enough carrots, apparently). To that end, I modded the art with the goal of shrinking the borders. The textures are gone as a result of that, though i had nothing against them. I just used a flat gray, 3 pixel border with circles at the hot spots. I know where the hot spots are at this point, so removing them entirely wouldn't have been a problem, but I wanted to leave some sort of border in simply because I like how it turns red when I have aggro.

Since I was getting rid of the textures, the targetting window looked very odd, so I redid that as well. I'm certainly no artist, but I'm a hunter, so I gave it crosshairs and I like to imagine it looks like my target through a scope.

Anyway, resized the chat boxes to take care of the added panel area and merged the two combat boxes on the right in to one. Rearranged the ui components on the left box (trinket menu, status windows, autobar) to give as much room as possible for the combat box.

Also got rid of the minimap border texture and scaled it up as large as I could while still fitting it in to the available panel space. As a hunter (and an herbalist) I tend to live and die by the minimap, so I wanted it big.

Added a target of target frame using DUF (just above the scope) because I couldn't live without it. A few other minor mods to the unit frames with duf (mostly colors, some layout with the scope thing).

And I think thats it. I'm a total tweaker and I love the clear playing area thing, so I just tried to take that a step farther. I'm really digging this setup.

Anyway, my suggestions on top of this - just more efficient use of the panel area. Texture options would be part of this, as would the ability to for easier manipulaton/movement of some of the components. I had to go to external files and change x/y numbers for most of the layout changes I made.

Thanks again Mazz!

//edit oh, and my keybindings are embarassingly weird. I haven't really had a chance to reset them all since my UI switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mazzled.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	1054  

Last edited by dorlf : 02-12-07 at 06:02 PM.

02-12-07, 06:27 PM   #97
pepemt
A Kobold Labourer
Mazzle,

I'm really liking most of the things in your UI and want to give it a shot. My main concern deals with the 3D group presentation and locked minimap.

Any chance in a future release you'll enable portraits rather than the 3D models for your group overhead and let me move the minimap?

Great job overall.

02-12-07, 06:28 PM   #98
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Very interesting, dorlf. I liked what you did with the target cave and the focus frame.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 02-12-07 at 06:31 PM.

02-12-07, 06:30 PM   #99
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I know there are stand alone mods that do this, I was just trying to make a case for having it integrated into MUI rather than a separate addon.

Unless I am missing something there isnt a place in the HUD or anywhere else to monitor your energy regen timing.

Tick installs jsut fine separately so its mostly a /shrug

It sounds like a good suggestion, but you should post in the correct thread. Otherwise, I won't notice it when I go back over it.

02-12-07, 06:33 PM   #100
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by pepemt
Mazzle,

I'm really liking most of the things in your UI and want to give it a shot. My main concern deals with the 3D group presentation and locked minimap.

Any chance in a future release you'll enable portraits rather than the 3D models for your group overhead and let me move the minimap?

Great job overall.

I'd need very different unit frames to use portraits, so probably not. You can use another add-on to move the map. All the button layouts are based on the minimap, so it's doubtful I'd add that as an option.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » OLD Feature Requests and All Other Suggestions OLD