11-25-07, 10:39 AM   #1
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
WTF not being read?!

Ok, my user interface was working fine and dandy while using lanacan ui, I then decided to switch over and try the Simple UI and when i finished installing it and changing the folder names and whatnot i log in to find that it didn't work so I just said forget it. I then decided to delete the WTF and Interface folders and reinstall Lanacans ui oddly enough it didn't work either. And what i mean by it didn't work is that my UI looked nothing like it used to be from Lanacans pictures and from how it used to be on mine.

Now all I get is every add on at there default place and i have been going through all the UI's with WTF in them like fundamentals UI and it still comes out with all the add ons in there default positions. I then went to investigate the WTF folder and found out that wow is reading the config file but nothing else it seems.

Image Inc of what i mean.
11-25-07, 10:43 AM   #2
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
11-25-07, 10:45 AM   #3
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Reiss
Ok, my user interface was working fine and dandy while using lanacan ui, I then decided to switch over and try the Simple UI and when i finished installing it and changing the folder names and whatnot i log in to find that it didn't work so I just said forget it. I then decided to delete the WTF and Interface folders and reinstall Lanacans ui oddly enough it didn't work either. And what i mean by it didn't work is that my UI looked nothing like it used to be from Lanacans pictures and from how it used to be on mine.

Now all I get is every add on at there default place and i have been going through all the UI's with WTF in them like fundamentals UI and it still comes out with all the add ons in there default positions. I then went to investigate the WTF folder and found out that wow is reading the config file but nothing else it seems.

Image Inc of what i mean.
Have you changed the server/character names in.
11-25-07, 10:47 AM   #4
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yup, changed the account name, server name, and character name and when i log in I still have all the add ons in their default position. When I go back to my WTF folder it looks like everything was typed correctly since if i did type it wrong wow would have made new folders with the correct spelling of the server or charactername or account name but it didn't.
11-25-07, 10:53 AM   #5
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok I tried again this time with the spartan ui and i checked my saved variables after logging in to the game and still getting the default positions and wow hasnt even touched the WTF folder from this picture since i believe it makes backups of the lua's when you log in.

Last edited by Reiss : 11-25-07 at 10:55 AM.
11-25-07, 11:50 AM   #6
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok, i think i found the fix, something it seems changed my WTF folder options, i had to make sure it was read only.
11-25-07, 02:36 PM   #7
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Were you copying these files into your game, while wow was running? if so, that's the problem.. making it read-only is a bad workaround for not simply exiting the game.. now, when you make changes, they wont be saved since it's read-only now...
11-25-07, 03:37 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, you need to exit the game completely when making changes to what addons/etc are installed. And files from the WTF folder are only read from and written to when you log into/out of the game or reload your UI.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-25-07, 05:08 PM   #9
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok, thanks for the tip, yeah I am disabling the read only option since i was wondering why it wasn't saving the changes, and when i was doing this I also made sure WoW was off and it still was doing it.

:Edit:
Ok, after doing that the same problem has come back : /

Everything is named correctly after what they are supposed to be and I made sure WoW was turned off but still the same things before. Are there certain files that should be made Read only or should I totally forget about that option when dealing with the WTF folder?

Last edited by Reiss : 11-25-07 at 05:12 PM.
11-25-07, 05:25 PM   #10
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Your WTF folder, nor anything in it, should ever be Read-Only.

As Seerah mentioned, do you logout or just exit your game? Settings for everything are only saved during logout or a UI reload so if you made changes and shutdown, you would lose all changes.

11-25-07, 05:31 PM   #11
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Nope, all my changes are done before i even start wow, Such as when i install a ui package such as Seerahs or someone else's comipilation and I go through the whole thing of changing folder names. And as of now for ever compilation i have tried it seems like WoW only reads into the config file in WTF and stops there. No lua backups are ever made when i start wow in the saved variables. Then I did that Read only thing and all the files loaded normally and were in the position they should have been.

Now that i disabled it all the add ons are back in their default positions. This only started happening this morning.
11-25-07, 10:14 PM   #12
Reiss
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Ok, I am happy now I don't know what happened but I did a system restore to about 2 days ago on my system and now the game reads my WTF folder. I think this could lead to a potential serious problem soon since I don't believe that I should have to do restores just to have WoW read the WTF and I know it isn't my side many other people are experiencing the same problem on the WoW forums that I have been experiencing. Some say it is from Ace mods gonna file this bug to Blizz.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » WTF not being read?!