03-21-08, 06:45 PM   #1
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Major Lag

Hi all,

Been experiencing major lag in-game these past several days. Usually sign on in the green around 139 ms, but goes up to red 500ish to 700is within a couple of minutes. have seen it up over 2k latency with multiple DCs within minutes of each other. Upgraded NIC and (unrelated I know) vid card drivers. Backed up Addons & Interface folders and reinstalled UI (Mazzle). Flushed the DNS cache and have defragged several times. Still getting the lag.

On a side not, since reinstalling Mazzle have been receiving this error:

[2008/03/21 17:30:26-13-x1]: Prat-2.0 63303.65207\Prat.lua:2220: AceLocale-2.2: Bad argument #2 to `?' (string expected, got nil)
AceAddon-2.0-57245 (Ace2):926: in function <Interface\AddOns\Ace2\AceAddon-2.0\AceAddon-2.0.lua:919>
<in C code>: ?
AceEvent-2.0-63812 (Ace2):260: in function `TriggerEvent'
AceEvent-2.0-63812 (Ace2):917: in function <Interface\AddOns\Ace2\AceEvent-2.0\AceEvent-2.0.lua:910>

Any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated.
03-21-08, 06:51 PM   #2
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Erurainon View Post
Hi all,

Been experiencing major lag in-game these past several days. Usually sign on in the green around 139 ms, but goes up to red 500ish to 700is within a couple of minutes. have seen it up over 2k latency with multiple DCs within minutes of each other. Upgraded NIC and (unrelated I know) vid card drivers. Backed up Addons & Interface folders and reinstalled UI (Mazzle). Flushed the DNS cache and have defragged several times. Still getting the lag.

On a side not, since reinstalling Mazzle have been receiving this error:

[2008/03/21 17:30:26-13-x1]: Prat-2.0 63303.65207\Prat.lua:2220: AceLocale-2.2: Bad argument #2 to `?' (string expected, got nil)
AceAddon-2.0-57245 (Ace2):926: in function <Interface\AddOns\Ace2\AceAddon-2.0\AceAddon-2.0.lua:919>
<in C code>: ?
AceEvent-2.0-63812 (Ace2):260: in function `TriggerEvent'
AceEvent-2.0-63812 (Ace2):917: in function <Interface\AddOns\Ace2\AceEvent-2.0\AceEvent-2.0.lua:910>

Any help anyone could provide would be most appreciated.
Hey Erurainon... I haven't heard anything about any lag issues with Mazzle but I know that Prat was broken in the last few updates. I've been getting that same error and others have mentioned it as well. Sounds like you've done a pretty thorough job of troubleshooting and all I could think of to try at this point is to see if you get the same lag issue with no mods enabled (just disable them so you won't have to reinstall everything). If it's ok with no mods, I guess it's just a matter of re-enabling mods to see which one starts causing the issue. I'm assuming that you've updated everything recently as you seem to know your stuff. Has anyone seen this?
03-21-08, 07:55 PM   #3
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Yeah, I updated w/externals with WAU. Sorry, failed to mention that; but was writing a quick post while flying down to CoT in-game. :\ I'll try that - disable all mods and enabling them 1 at a time. Thanks for reply.
03-21-08, 08:34 PM   #4
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Yeah, I updated w/externals with WAU. Sorry, failed to mention that; but was writing a quick post while flying down to CoT in-game. :\ I'll try that - disable all mods and enabling them 1 at a time. Thanks for reply.
You could try enabling more than one at a time if it gets too tedious... I know Mazzle has quite a few mods and you probably have some of your own. At least you'll know if it's a mod causing the issue once you've disabled everything to see if it's working better. Good luck!
03-21-08, 09:47 PM   #5
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Have been trying for the past hour. Thought I had finally solved it when after logging in latency was green at 81 for almost a minute. Then sadly it shot to red at 527 ms. /sigh Currently have the following mods (in addition to Mazzle of course) enabled:

AutoBar
Bongos
BugGrabber
BugSack
Cartographer
ClearFont2d
Discord Unit Frames
EnhTooltip
Various Libraries
Some minimal LightHeaded data
Ping Direction
rMasterControlProgram
Status Window
Stubby

There are a few I didn't name - things that go along with Discord Unit frames for example, that load on demand, but are not yet loaded. I'm at a loss here. This is a very minimalistic setup for me and I really miss my FuBar along with KHunter's Timers, Omen, Auctioneer.. /sigh again In the time it took me to type this post latency has gone up to 833 ms.

Oh yeah, and I've been getting this error too:

[2008/03/21 19:47:28-18-x1]: Interface\FrameXML\GameTooltip.lua:73: Usage: GameTooltip:SetOwner(frame):
Interface\FrameXML\GameTooltip.lua:73: in function `GameTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor':
Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:66: in function `UnitFrame_OnEnter':
DiscordUnitFrames\DUF_Element.lua:254: in function `DUF_Element_OnEnter'
<string>:"*:OnEnter":1: in function <[string "*:OnEnter"]:1>

---
03-21-08, 11:14 PM   #6
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Not sure about the error since I don't know much about Discord. It's just seeming to me like the problem is with your connection, isp, or something else besides mods. Did you try running for a while with mods disabled? Was it ok the whole time until you started re-enabling mods?
03-22-08, 04:25 AM   #7
Slakah
A Molten Giant

It has to be your isp.
03-22-08, 05:15 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've been reading the WoW tech forums every morning since last Sept when I got the game... this is an ongoing issue that started right after the last patch. Out of nowhere there was a huge (and I mean huge) influx of users posting about latency issues. Not only did this affect a lot of users in the USA, but also happened to users in European countries. Here lately there has been an influx of users complaining about disconnects.

When you get disconnected, is everything else getting disconnected as well (your internet, messengers etcetera), or just the game booting you out?

You can try this but I'm not sure if it helps with the disconnects. I only know it helps with latency:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=1

Last edited by Petrah : 03-22-08 at 05:24 AM.
03-22-08, 09:47 PM   #9
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
It has to be your isp.
That's what I initially thought.

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
When you get disconnected, is everything else getting disconnected as well (your internet, messengers etcetera), or just the game booting you out?
How very interesting. For me it's just the game booting me out which is why I no longer suspect the problem lies with my ISP. Checking out that link now, thank you!

[edit to add]Downloaded the appropriate file for my OS. The Standalone Updater displayed a message that said the file wasn't applicable to my system. :\ Posted at the hotfix site, but would also like to post here to see if anyone can help. Just as a summary here's what I've done so far to try and solve the problem: flush the DNS cache, renew my IP address, reset my modem, downloaded and installed updated drivers for my NIC (which is an Intel PRO 1000), set speed/duplex setting to 100 Mbps Full Duplex (it was set to Auto Negotiation and I couldn't connect to the internet with it set to 1000 Mbps :\), neither could I disable Checksum Offload for the same reason, unchecked the box for allowing the comp to be turned off to save power, disabled the background downloader, tried running the game with my software firewall (Comodo Pro) configured to allow WoW access and with the firewall disabled, tried disabling my A/V prog as well so that no extraneous progs were running - even turned off the QuickTime applet to no avail. I'm not behind a router.

I ran a tracert which had the first 9 tries going though without a hitch, small hiccup on the tenth try; but it went through for the most part, 11 through 14 went through fine although with added latency, and the last 15 tries all failed. Does this indicate a problem with my ISP or is my ISP blameless due to the first 14 going through? As a side note on my ISP, I have never seen even half of the download/upload speeds advertised in the package I was paying for; so just recently downgraded the package. I've never seen speeds approaching this one's advertised values either, but at least I never get disconnected from the internet or experience heavy lag while web surfing. It's only in WoW that I've experienced these things and only for the past 10 days or so - right around the time of the latest game patch.[/edit]

I am at a complete loss here. I found out about a registry key that might help, but the MS site has a KB out on it that says adding it won't affect anything in Vista. The problem seems to stem from the latest patch with numerous people all over the world complaining of lag and disconnects. I heard a rumor that the full 2.4 patch may fix the issue, but isn't the full patch already out? Or are we still waiting for the second half of it? I am just not having any fun with all this d*mn lag! Aaargh! Anyone have any other ideas for me? =(

Last edited by Erurainon : 03-22-08 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added info
03-22-08, 10:25 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you woulda said that everything is disconnecting, I would of pointed you to a particular stickied thread in the tech forum... but your issue is different than that.

Check the forums in the tech support area, especially any that mention disconnects and latency (they're vast in number lol).

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...Id=11110&sid=1

Last edited by Petrah : 03-22-08 at 10:28 PM.
03-22-08, 11:51 PM   #11
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Check the forums in the tech support area, especially any that mention disconnects and latency (they're vast in number lol).
Holy crow! You weren't kidding! lol Although i shouldn't be laughing. Seems Blizz blames the ISPs and the ISPs blame Blizz. /sigh Lot's of people with the same problem and no fix other than the one you already pointed me to and that one doesn't work for me. /cries
03-23-08, 11:37 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Holy crow! You weren't kidding! lol Although i shouldn't be laughing. Seems Blizz blames the ISPs and the ISPs blame Blizz. /sigh Lot's of people with the same problem and no fix other than the one you already pointed me to and that one doesn't work for me. /cries
Yeah, unfortunately it's a never ending cycle with the blame.

Just out of curiosity... did you try logging on to a completely different server? I'm really curious if you would have the same issues if you tried a different server..... you would essentially be taking a different rout to connect to the game. Here's a list by data center so you can see about trying a server closer to where you live (if you're not already on one of those. I got lucky and accidentally chose a server 30 minutes from my house rofl):

http://www.wowwiki.com/US_Realm_List_By_Datacenter

Let me know how that goes?
03-23-08, 05:49 PM   #13
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I hadn't tried logging on to a different server. Neither did I realize that different servers connected to different datacenters. So I made a new toon on a server in L.A. being that I'm in AZ. Server time was just 1 hour ahead of local - as opposed to 2 on the server that I normally play on which connects via Dallas. At first I enjoyed sub 100ms latency, but it climbed to 200+ eventually to 700+ with one spike over 1300ms. I DC'd at around 800ms latency once and saw multiple lags during game play. While the lag is not quite as bad as on my original server, it's still there and I'm experiencing the same sorts of things. =(
03-23-08, 05:56 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by erica647 View Post
Did you try running for a while with mods disabled? Was it ok the whole time until you started re-enabling mods?
Did you try this yet?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-23-08, 09:25 PM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Can you show me a screenshot or copy/paste from your tracert to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com ?
03-23-08, 10:44 PM   #16
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Yeah. Impossible to tell just what latency is without the mod installed. I did lag at times during combat, but did not disconnect. While I did not play very long without any mods installed, I don't think any mod is the culprit here since I did in fact lag. Will try again later. In the meantime I found a program called WowMatrix which updates your mods ala WAU. I ran it and it found updates that WAU did not. I'm also going to try playing with mods installed after having them updated via WM.
03-23-08, 10:52 PM   #17
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Can you show me a screenshot or copy/paste from your tracert to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com ?
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Keone>tracert us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com

Tracing route to us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com [12.129.232.113]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 33 ms 39 ms 41 ms ip-64-57-197-1.transcendbroadband.net [64.57.19
.1]
2 36 ms 41 ms 77 ms tlc-fesx.vl914-ve250.swwg.net [64.57.196.137]
3 42 ms 41 ms * cgmtn-fesx.vl913-ve249.swwg.net [64.57.196.121]

4 41 ms 41 ms 47 ms cgpdt-core-fe0-0-906.swwg.net [64.57.196.169]
5 48 ms 35 ms 29 ms ip-64-57-196-189.transcendbroadband.net [64.57.
96.189]
6 96 ms * 46 ms phx-edge-01.inet.qwest.net [63.148.218.137]
7 41 ms 84 ms 53 ms phx-core-01.inet.qwest.net [205.171.129.5]
8 60 ms 89 ms 59 ms los-core-01.inet.qwest.net [67.14.22.10]
9 144 ms * 99 ms lap-brdr-02.inet.qwest.net [205.171.32.6]
10 52 ms * 51 ms 192.205.35.49
11 99 ms * * tbr2.la2ca.ip.att.net [12.122.87.138]
12 47 ms 53 ms 95 ms 12.127.3.189
13 * 70 ms 59 ms 12.122.255.74
14 95 ms 47 ms 59 ms mdf001c7613r0003-gig-10-1.lax1.attens.net [12.1
9.193.242]
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
03-23-08, 10:58 PM   #18
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yep. It's a connection issue. And you can see what your latency is with no mods - it's in the default UI. The green bar by your bags changes color, and if you hover your mouse over it, it tells you the number.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-23-08, 11:08 PM   #19
Erurainon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thank you Seerah. So it's a connection issue.. does this mean my ISP's at fault? My tracert looks like any other of a number I've seen posted over at WoW Tech Forums from people who've been having the same problems in the same time frame that I have and they're all on different ISPs. Can you tell by my tracert if Blizz' servers were ever reached? I can't - it may as well be Greek for all I can understand of it. lol
03-23-08, 11:26 PM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Before reaching attens you're all over the place (highs and lows), so it's hard to say.

attens.net, teliacarrier.com, and gblx.net are used by Bliz, so you did reach their server. You can ignore the time outs after that as that is supposed to happen because you hit their firewall.

How old is the modem you are using? You can try to call your ISP and request they deliver a new one for you. It might not help, but you've tried just about everything else other than a new nic card.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Major Lag