12-29-06, 12:12 PM   #1
Zeksie
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request for UnitFrame registration

Another good one would be some alternative to having to de-register the default unit frames. I'm not convinced that the act of doing this is not causing some tainting problems for a lot of mods.

Ideally, the default frames would not actually load if an addon declares itself as a unit frame mod. Like your player unit frame OnLoad does this:
Code:
UnitFrameRegister("player")
Then target frame does
Code:
UnitFrameRegister("target")
And so on. Then the default "PlayerFrame", "TargetFrame" and such would not be loaded or setup.

Any that are not already handled when PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD occurs can then be loaded and shown.

Not only would this remove some of the ambiguity from what we're allowed to do and touch, but would also save sizable system resources, which is a large factor in many things.
12-29-06, 12:20 PM   #2
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I responded via PM's but what you're asking for is a half-****ed solution to an entirely different problem. You won't find the default UI ever "disabling" itself as a result of an addon coming along, that can easily present way too many problems without solving a clear need.

Also, the "sizable" system resources you're referring to just aren't being used.. the cost of the default unit frames is absolutely tiny compares to the work an average addon is doing.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Wish List » Request for UnitFrame registration