Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05-06-09, 03:15 PM   #11
Pyrophoric
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
You are not an author so you would not see the benefit of a version control system such as SVN, GIT or Mecurial. Then again an average user will never seen inside an development repository. However I am a power user, tester, and AddOn author. I know the benefits of using a version control system. I have even have a Git set up on my machine to keep track of my local changes to my AddOns.
It isn't that I don't see a benefit, it's that I don't know much about it in the first place.

The author of Outfitter was going stop public releases of his mods in protest to the new UI Development policy that Blizzard unleashed a few weeks ago. This had NOTHING to do with user interaction. Most AddOn authors welcome user interaction as those user (in particular power users) will submit ideas and bug reports. More advanced users will do localization (aka translation) for an author as well. Trust me, this is a big deal with WoW being a multi language game.
Reading the discussion between the author and the users, I would say otherwise. It was said by the author he had been thinking about stopping for awhile simply because of the community and they the Blizzard thing was simply the push off the ledge. He displayed a lot of upset toward the community regarding the community.

The only reason why author info and the donation pop-ups where added was to try to regain some "legitimacy" from Authors. However this is a case of closing the barn door after the horse has escaped. The changes made to WoWMatrix after Authors hammered on WM for years (literally).
That would make sense, however I am just commenting on what features they now have in place. Ever program is allow progression.

Now I run quite a few AddOns myself. Do you know how many I have to update at a time? 3 to 4 a week IF there are major code changes. The vast majority of changes are small things that do not effect the AddOn. These changes are things like version control tag changes, or localization updates (aka a button that says No in English got translated to "nien" in German). Do you really need these changes? No. So why update 35 to 40 AddOn daily or even weekly? I do all my updates manually. This is on top of being a father, moderating several forums, serving as a Guild officer, keeping my house clean, cooking, getting out for my hour's daily walk, getting my kid to and a from school plus helping with homework and a myriad of other daily RL tasks.
I cannot disagree, however being a father I would figure you would see the value of it just as much as I do. Personally, I update out of habit. You are correct that addons dont need to be updated that often. It is a pain though after a major patch to track everything down and try to remember what goes where, which is another reason I keep my addons up-to-date.

Last edited by Pyrophoric : 05-06-09 at 03:17 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowMatrix Responds!