01-21-11, 05:11 AM   #1
gagou
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
new UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT event

I've seen in the ui source from ptr for 4.0.6 that there is a new event : 'UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT' used inCompactUnitFrame.lua

The event name suggest that it's used to update the health value more frequently. I have no time to go on the ptr to test it, did someone already made some test and if so how does it compare to an OnUpdate as currently done by oUF in Health.lua is frequentUpdates is set to true for Health?
01-26-11, 10:15 AM   #2
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
I plan on doing some tests... I mainly want to know how it's throttled compared to OnUpdate polling.

The only difference it should provide is slightly less CPU cycles compared to the current solution, at least when there are several units which rarely change health values.
02-08-11, 09:18 PM   #3
Freebaser
A Molten Kobold Bandit

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I did some testing with 2 oUFs running. oUF 1 uses OnUpdate polling and oUF 2 uses the new frequent event(API-6 branch of oUF).

First thing I noticed is that both UNIT_HEALTH and UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT shouldn't be registered to the same frame.

(line breaks every sec)
oUF #, Gametime, eventname, # of updates

with just UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT in oUF 2

OnUpdate gets called once after entering world, then identical after that.

Comparing UNIT_HEALTH to UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT

I see an about an avg of 250 ms delay on UNIT_HEALTH when damage is taken. FREQUENT gets called a few more times and when idle (just health ticks) their identical.

This is just testing one unit is each oUF. Haven't done anything with multiple units.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » new UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT event