04-25-09, 09:26 AM   #1
medgno
A Murloc Raider
Minimap sometimes 'smearing'

I have my minimap set to dock for indoor places such as caves and instances. However, since 3.1 it has started sometimes getting all smeary. I've attached a screenshot since it explains what's going on better than words.

I do have a decent number of other addons enabled, but as best I can tell none of them have anything to do with the way maps work, so I'm at a loss to figure out what the problem is.

I forgot to mention initially, but when I walk into the area that's messed up, the proper imagery loads.

Last edited by medgno : 04-25-09 at 09:27 AM. Reason: adding more information

04-25-09, 10:17 AM   #2
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I've seen the same thing. The degree and direction of the "smearing" seems to depend on where you are in the cave or whatever.

04-25-09, 11:10 AM   #3
Gako
A Fallenroot Satyr

Mine does that too, Its really frustrating. I think its Blizz's problem though cause Im using a different mod than you. Most times it seems to straighten out when I get closer to the "smear." However, if anyone knows a fix that would be great. It constantly screws up my Qhelper.

04-25-09, 12:08 PM   #4
Thander
A Theradrim Guardian
This is caused by lag on the server. For some reason, the map will smear if the server hasn't told the client what things are in the area. It's waiting for the server to tell it what tracking stuff to display. The map smears until it gets the updates for that area. I notice this mainly in capitals when I first zone in and start moving. It usually fixes itself in a short time. I'm not sure why you would get this problem everywhere. Do you have any firewalls or antivirus that could cause problems? I think I remember some people having to disable Norton to get it working right. It's quick and easy to disable your security stuff for a few minutes just to see.

04-25-09, 12:16 PM   #5
medgno
A Murloc Raider
I'm on a mac, so I don't have the firewall issues. And usually, I don't lag much at all, usually having a ping of around 50-100ms. Either way, as long as I'm not the only one with this problem, I feel better.

04-29-09, 05:55 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The minimap graphic is drawn by the game. I have never seen that happen.

04-30-09, 11:45 AM   #7
Songard
A Defias Bandit
I have this same problem in instances and caves is where I usually notice it. Like was said, it straightens itself out in a moment. My pings are ow as well, 70 - 80 usually, and I am on a mac.

05-02-09, 10:12 AM   #8
medgno
A Murloc Raider
Smile Officially Blizzard's fault

According to a blue post on the Blizzard forums, this is their fault and will be fixed in the next patch.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...03650320&sid=1

Sorry for posting here and wasting people's time.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Minimap sometimes 'smearing'