12-11-13, 08:14 PM   #21
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd guess that's probably more related to the amount of code between the "if" and "elseif" for each locale. What happens if you do it this way instead:

Code:
if locale == A then
    -- stuff
return end

if locale == B then
    -- stuff
return end
Since it's only complaining after 142,112 lines, it should be able to handle multiple independent "control structures" of only 12,000 lines each.
12-11-13, 08:22 PM   #22
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Your suggestion seems to have worked. I will have to try it out in different locales just to make sure, but converting the if/elseif/end structure into multiple if/end structures seems to do it. Thanks.

Now I just have to see if reading one huge file instead of eleven smaller files gives any performance improvements.
12-12-13, 12:13 PM   #23
jjforums
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
So, you can use lua compiler to hide addon's source code? Instead of minifying and obscurificating the code?
12-12-13, 01:24 PM   #24
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by jjforums View Post
So, you can use lua compiler to hide addon's source code? Instead of minifying and obscurificating the code?
Nope, wow doesn't supports already compiled code, the game doing the compiling wheneven it's needed.
12-12-13, 01:35 PM   #25
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Nope, wow doesn't supports already compiled code[..]
[offtopic]
Unless it's their own .pub files offcourse!

EDIT: After investigation, I think blizzard's pub files are actually encrypted files that store a link to interface.MPQ/Interface/AddOns/<whatever_blizzard_addon>. Anyone know what type of encryption that could be?

Last edited by ravagernl : 12-12-13 at 01:40 PM.
12-12-13, 03:12 PM   #26
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by ravagernl View Post
[offtopic]
Unless it's their own .pub files offcourse!

EDIT: After investigation, I think blizzard's pub files are actually encrypted files that store a link to interface.MPQ/Interface/AddOns/<whatever_blizzard_addon>. Anyone know what type of encryption that could be?
I can't seems to find any encrypted files there, only the common blizzard addons. However i would be much more intreseted in the misc.MPQ/DBFilesClient/.
12-12-13, 07:03 PM   #27
Phanx
Cat.

None of WoW's data files are encrypted as far as I'm aware. They're just either compiled (EXE, DLL), or compressed storage container formats (MPQ, like ZIP or RAR), or binary storage formats (DBC, like SQLite). You can view them easily using a program that understands the format.
12-12-13, 08:00 PM   #28
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Does anyone know the values for each field in the questcache.wdb file (in WoW/Cache/WDB/<locale> directory)? Basically I believe with MoP Blizzard encrypted a bunch of the data at the end of each record, and I do not understand a lot of the fields still.
06-12-19, 10:05 AM   #29
SinusPi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
The compiled file will be this: (...)

Since the variable name is more then 8 charaters the compiler can't transalte that variable name into 1 bytecode, so it will take up more space, and since the code is longer the execution is going to take more time.
This thread is 6 years old, but let me correct this: the compiler only includes the variable name if it has debugging information on, which it pretty much never uses unless an error occurs. For a pure bytecode, you'd use `luac -s`, with variable names stripped.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Are all addon "open source"?