12-06-12, 06:42 AM   #1
moon_river
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
MOP opinions.

Hi guys! I'm thinking about buying wow complete pack, because i found it for €35. It's a good price, but honestly i don't want to waste my money. Someone told me that he regrets buying MOP. What about you? Do you think it's worth to buy?

12-06-12, 08:11 AM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's very hard to give an opinion that even remotely approaches objectivity.
A few millions of players bought it so I guess it was worth it for them.

My own very subjective opinion as an old player (have been playing without extended breaks since Aug. 05') would lean to 'no' (I'd probably have quit in Cataclysm truth be told if I wasn't involved with addon development, that's like a meta-game on top of the actual game that keeps it interesting)

But I can't really say what part of that is the game somehow changing for the worse or me just outgrowing it after all this time.

I can say that for a new player it's probably the best it has ever been (not sure how it stacks up against the competition for someone looking to pickup a new MMO that has no 'history' and social ties in WoW at all).
Compared to itself, it's more polished, streamlined and full of content than it ever was.

In my personal opinion and despite the above, it also lacks character and direction, trying to do too many things and be too many games at the same time, not all of which fit together.
There's also a distinct lack of attention to managing social interactions which degrades the community of the game.
I want to be clear on this I don't mean that the people playing WoW somehow got worse over time, I think it's always been a mix of players you can get along with and obnoxious types.
However gaming companies take steps to moderate that social environment both passively (through in-game mechanics, like loot rules, mob and resource tapping etc) and actively (through GM intervention where needed).

Over the last 2 expansions there have been alot of new features implemented in the "group play" department that tend to fragment communities with little to no countermeasures added to offset that.
Basically griefers get free reign while decent community oriented people can only 'retreat' to their guilds and friend circle and avoid the general populace.

As it happens I also take issue with changes to my favorite class of many years (warrior tank)
I've adjusted to alot of changes over expansions but never to this day felt that they pulled out the engine of the class.
It's now a hunter/shaman combo wearing plate, with a focus bar painted red and called 'rage', with totems called banners (fun fact: /run DestroyTotem(1) cancels your dropped warrior banner... talk about cross-class re-use...)
I liked the re-active and hectic nature of the gameplay, it's now all pre-planning and fighting your own resources.

TL;DR. Game systems are at their best, content is abundant, character is lacking (for me).

Last edited by Dridzt : 12-06-12 at 04:29 PM.

12-06-12, 09:23 AM   #3
Magicalhats27
A Fallenroot Satyr

In all honesty MOP strongly reminds me of BC. Ive been having more fun playing wow now, than I have in the past 2 expansions. I have a strong feeling its only going to get better. If you noticed blizzard has started to shift more towards community and away from convenience (correcting the mistakes they made in the last couple expansions). The only thing I don't like are how cross-servers are causing a negative effect on the gathering trades. Kinda sucks for low pop areas. Overall, Im pretty sure you know that wow is an addicting game and you probably wont have any regrets once you purchase it. I say give it a go.

12-06-12, 10:12 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I honestly thought I was going to hate MoP, and had considered for the first time since I began playing to actually take a long break. I'm glad I didn't as I'm having more fun now that I've had in a long time. As for the faction grind, I hate it and love it. Hate it for the time it takes (after doing dailies I have no time to run 5 man heroics), and love it for the time I get to spend with my sweetheart (he flies out on Sunday nights to California for a new job, and flies back home on Thursday nights) as we sometimes get to do the dailies together late in the evening (he logs in from the hotel on a laptop).

Yes, MoP is well worth it. Much better than the last expansion, IMHO.

12-06-12, 11:53 AM   #5
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
Much better than the last expansion, IMHO.
Nothing can be that bad

They improved heavily! Went a little too far on the daily-train but are trying to compensate already.
See the latest gc interview linked in the news over at mmo-champion.

I enjoy it more than expected ... but I really hate to see all the longstanding api-problems/bugs still not fixed.

It is worth the money if you're not that much into characterdevelopment/roleplay ... questing, story, graphics, dungeons, raids are fantastic and you can spend hours and hours in azeroth again.

Just dont try to do all the things you can do at the same time ... there is way too much

12-06-12, 01:01 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
I enjoy it more than expected ... but I really hate to see all the longstanding api-problems/bugs still not fixed.
I'm still waiting on a fix for the random "crash to desktop" that happens when opening the Dungeon Finder.

That and after installing and patching completely, the game still thinks I need to redownload all of the continents and dungeons again. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have very limited bandwidth that takes enough time for the game servers to boot me during the download, causing the game client to freeze at the end of the loading screen.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 12-06-12 at 01:09 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » MoP Beta archived threads » MOP opinions.