05-25-18, 10:08 PM   #1
TacoPop
A Defias Bandit
anyone still customize UI with panels?

I am new to this site.

I enjoy customizing my UI and for the longest time, I just did easy stuff like moving UnitFrames and minimap, etc. I want to get further into customizing it by using panels to display my addons when wanted and hide them when they are not needed. I have played around with kgpanels and done simple scripts like open a frame on click but I can not seem to get it to hide addons. I would like to set up some sliding side panels for my bartender custom bars as well as hide the damage meter, details.

Does anyone know of a better addon than kgpanels? Does anyone know how to do sliding panels in kgpanels? Can someone point me in the right direction where a noob like me can understand what the scripts are doing? I prefer to understand them more so than copy and paste them.

Also, framestack is not all that intuitive. It is very hard for me to find the overall frame for an AddOn so I can anchor the frame to it. Anybody know of any quick tutorials out there for it?

Thanks all,

Taco
05-26-18, 08:04 AM   #2
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sorry, never bothered with kgpanels. I looked at it when it first came out but overall it felt like doing what I wanted in Lua was less of a headache than getting 80% there with kgpanels.

If the addon has a native show/hide toggle, some will have internal Show/Hide calls, so it's best to use those rather than just try to do the :Show()/:Hide() on the addon frame itself, so it's worth peeking at the addon code itself to be certain.

Framestack is pretty intuitive, not sure what you're having a problem with; I don't think I've ever seen a tutorial for framestack. For addons, most authors will name their frames, so it's pretty easy to find out what the name is; however, some don't, and then you have those numeric bastards that are a pain to interact with. I surmise this is what might be causing the confusion. If that's the case, you might want to edit the addon and supply a name for the frame that you can use (if there are no .xml files for the addon, search for 'CreateFrame("').

Alternatively, give an example of what frame you're trying to find and what you're seeing in framestack.
05-26-18, 10:07 AM   #3
TacoPop
A Defias Bandit
anyone still customize UI with panels?

Thank you so much for replying. What you say makes total sense. I am somewhat experienced with writing code, however, none with LUA. Does anyone know of a good beginners site that I can be pointed to?

Thank you for the assistance.

Taco
05-26-18, 12:13 PM   #4
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Well, there are the other forums here that cover addon development, plus you can go here for Lua coding:

https://www.lua.org/

Also, you can download an addon and look at the code to get ideas. Or tweak one of them and learn as you go.
05-26-18, 12:38 PM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Someone made sliding panels (ala LUI) to put behind their side action bars with kgPanels several years ago. The code used to be on the kgPanels development site (aka WoWAce), but I can't get on the site anymore. It keeps telling me to login (with a Twich page) and since I can't........

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
05-26-18, 12:43 PM   #6
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
The code used to be on the kgPanels development site (aka WoWAce), but I can't get on the site anymore. It keeps telling me to login (with a Twich page) and since I can't........
These?
https://www.wowace.com/projects/kg-p...rojectID=14995

https://www.wowace.com/projects/proj...rojectID=14996
05-26-18, 04:45 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ummm, no - because that's Curseforge, not WoWAce (although, they might be the same thing now).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
05-26-18, 08:12 PM   #8
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

They've been the same for a fair few years.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » anyone still customize UI with panels?