10-19-20, 12:52 AM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Third party addon updater not finding addons

I don't know if this is a reasonable place to put this. Please, moderators, move this as needed.

TL;DR: Cursebreaker (https://github.com/AcidWeb/CurseBreaker) can't find 3 addons I asked it for here, out of ... many. (most). Two are in Discontinued, but one, Hekili, is being actively updated here multiple times a day of late. Mentioning this to CurseBreaker's author, the response was that WoWI's API didn't know about the addons. (https://github.com/AcidWeb/CurseBreaker/issues/195)

Is this something you folks are willing to figure out and take action on? I have spent my time this past week figuring out CurseBreaker, asince it claims a (not very tested) native Linux version, and I need to do some research to figure out making sure I have Java in order to use Minion. If you'd rather I just use Minion, I can work on that also, but before I put that work in only to find the same problem, I wanted to ask about it.

Thank you for your answer, whatever it is.
-Barleduq

Other info, tho I'm not sure if it's relevant: I play WoW under WINE using Lutris, currently 5.19 staging, on Ubuntu 20.04. I'm comfortable making changes via textfile/emacs, and can somewhat follow code, but I'm not a coder - my attempt a few years ago to learn something about LUA ended up with 2 migraines in 4 days. I'm clearly no longer able to follow threaded logic, and my attempt at a comp sci degree was back when PASCAL was the teaching language, and object-oriented wasn't a common buzzword, and I failed out on the math-based theory end of things.

(More background:
When I realized I had 200 addons to update for Shadowlands (addonholic?) I looked around for another updater. I started to figure out making sure java was installed properly on my Linux box in order to see if I could make Minion work. I was also pointed at 3 other addon updaters, and chose CurseBreaker to look at because it claimed to have native Linux version, and would pull from a wide array of sources, including curseforge, wowi, github, and I think 3 others. However, of the very many addons I told it to pull from here, it can't find three: Minimap Button Frame, Petcare, and Hekili. The first two are linked under Discontinued, but the last is being actively updated. (rest pulled into top para))

Last edited by Barleduq : 10-19-20 at 12:52 AM. Reason: grammar error in title.
10-19-20, 03:57 AM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looks like AcidWeb did further digging to find out the addons are in categories restricted to the API. As you pointed out, two were in Discontinued and Outdated Mods. The remaining one, Hekili, is in Battle for Azeroth Beta. The way the system is now, authors can add additional categories, but it requires staff intervention to change the main category.
11-05-20, 06:32 PM   #3
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thank you!

So would it be more sensible for me to talk to the addon author to request a change in category, or staff on here? If staff on here, I'm not sure how to do so, in terms of what channel to use - all I really know to do here is a forum post, and I don't know if that's appropriate.

Thanks for the response! (I've had a bad couple of weeks, and I'm just getting back to checking email...)
-Barleduq
11-05-20, 11:18 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'd assume the author would have to put the request in. The staff would have no clue what the author intends to do without talking with them about it. I think previously, the beta categories used to be dumped into outdated upon removal.
11-06-20, 06:07 AM   #5
kkot
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
To clarify, this issue also affects Minion as well as other add-on categories (e.g. all compilation categories).
11-06-20, 10:38 AM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
The first 2 addons on the list have not been updated here by the author for 2yrs or way more that is why they are in our discontinued category which is not exposed to the Minion API.

The last one Hekili comes up in Minion just fine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minion-hekili.PNG
Views:	241
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	9513  

Last edited by Dolby : 11-06-20 at 10:41 AM.
11-06-20, 06:40 PM   #7
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
yeah, I'm not trying to argue that they shouldn't be in the Discontinued category, tho many of them still work. I'll message the Hekili authors to see if they're responsive to asking to move it out of Beta.

I've got Cursebreaker working, currently, and honestly don't have the energy to bring myself up to even minor speed with Java. (I had some folks elsewhere giving me minor help, and I've already forgotten everything they said.)

My greatest wish would be if I could set a priority list, like "Look first on HERE and then on HERE" but I don't know if anyone's willing to do that sort of stuff.

-Barleduq
11-06-20, 10:12 PM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Hekili isnt in the beta category... Minion is able to pick it up, so its in the API https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...08-Hekili.html.

I'm not trying to argue either, just confirming why the first 2 don't show up.

Last edited by Dolby : 11-06-20 at 10:16 PM.
11-07-20, 01:44 AM   #9
AcidWeb
A Theradrim Guardian

I pinged Hekili after finding this issue and he moved his addon to proper category. It was fixed week or two ago.

Last edited by AcidWeb : 11-07-20 at 01:48 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Third party addon updater not finding addons