07-05-13, 02:22 PM   #1
Mashugana
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
New to oUF - is this a logical approach?

I could not find an 'intro to oUF' anywhere so I apologize if this has been answered. I am going to dig in to oUF this weekend. I have done a lot of research on my own, but I'd love any ideas. Is this a logical approach?

- Get oUF
- Get the oUF_Classic by zork
- Play in LUA, change stuff, and learn by doing
- Look at the oUF: Plugins and start adding stuff
- Come here with questions

Sound about right? I feel like I have a billion questions about textures, sizing, positioning, fonts, etc. but the suggested approach on these forums seems to be go try it and then ask questions.

Still, if anyone had an idea (like to start with oUF: Moveable Frames right off the bat, etc.) I'm all ears.

tyvm
07-05-13, 06:04 PM   #2
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I assume you want an oUF layout, so I'll answer your questions based on that in a mixed order.

If you want an oUF layout you'd better pick on that looks as close as possible to want you imagine. You have to get oUF separately unless it is included in the layout you want.

oUF_Classic is by haste, the author of oUF, and is a basic reference to how to make oUF layouts. A lot of people on this forum use oUF_Simple by Zork as he has made a nice tutorial for it with commit history and comments on google code (which itself is the definition of fugly, come on Zork, move to github ). So it's up to you with what you start as a learning reference, choose what you understand better.

oUF plugins are addons that extend oUF's capabilities. Those are like third party oUF elements and you have to add support for them in your layout. This is in most cases trivial to do, but you'd better care about that later.

As for the last question, it's always better to have tried to do something yourself. Than post your code, any lua errors it may produce and an explanation why what's happened is not what you wanted.
07-08-13, 03:12 AM   #3
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You should start out slow with the smallest approach possible. Only move on if you understood all the calls that are made.

Btw...if you add a new texture or a new code file to your addon folder you need to restart the game. File paths are read in on game initializion. Those do not update on /reload.

All other stuff can be written and checked via /reload.

Start with a simple player frame first.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
07-15-13, 09:12 AM   #4
Mashugana
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks all

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » New to oUF - is this a logical approach?