11-07-08, 11:16 PM   #1
kappe
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
wowint updater?

hi guys, what about create 'our' own updater pointing here and nowhere else? i dont download files from curse, just from here and from http://www.wowace.com/projects/

could we?
11-08-08, 01:13 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm probably mistaken, but I was under the impression that Ace moved to Curse, and that only beta addons were on the projects site. Someone said something about the cost being to great to keep up the old files.wowace.com site, so they moved to Curse... doesn't that mean we arent supposed to be using the projects site so it doesn't get costly like the old site? /confused

I do know that an updater for here is in the works though.
11-08-08, 03:11 AM   #3
dafire
Premium Member
If I'm not mistaken there was an updater for this page in java. It was hosted on this page and open source.
11-08-08, 12:21 PM   #4
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

There are 2 updaters that work with WoWinterface.com....

A Generic one for Linux and OS X
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Macintosh.html

and a Windows version
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...r-Windows.html

As for Curse, there is talk (or at least was talk) about releasing the API for a small fee, but I don't know what has or will become of that.
11-18-08, 05:36 PM   #5
Jeania
An Aku'mai Servant

Actually I'm wondering if there is a addon manager/updater that updates from 3 various sites I use (WoWInterface/Curse/WoWui) without trouble. I use WoWmatrix, which seems to work fine for pretty much most, and WoWus...and the WoWinterface one I downloaded I haven't tweaked because I'd have to figure out which of my addons are here, or from other places...I have a lot of addons lol, that's a bit time consuming. And WoWmatrix, which is awesome, doesn't check all of the addons...most yes, but not all.

Is there a really good, intelligent, "safe" updater that you guys use? Really looking for a suggestion on this lol, and really appreciate it. Thanks guys! ^_^

Jeania/Litharra~Dalaran
11-18-08, 10:46 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
First, don't use wowmatrix. Why was already linked to you in another thread. Second, the most kosher thing to do is to use the specific updater for whichever site you wish to update from. If you absolutely must use an all-in-one updater or you'll die, then at least use one with a better reputation that works with the community.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-19-08, 02:06 AM   #7
Jeania
An Aku'mai Servant

lol I was going to reply with a smarty pants reply about "omg, I'm going to die though" or some such thing lol. But I first read what was said to me in the other thread, and have posted a reply. I am certainly not going to advertise this to my guild, that's for sure, and am going to discourage the use of WoWmatrix.
11-19-08, 05:04 PM   #8
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

another convert 1 down a few million more to go...
11-20-08, 12:33 PM   #9
joeba18
A Cyclonian

I'm thinking about working on a updater that updates from many sources.

But i will show ads for the 3 sites so that they all still have the chance of ad clicks to help support the bills of the server.

Before i get to much into it i would like to hear the thoughts of the WoWI staff and community.

If i get the hands up from here my next stop will be Curse.
If one don't give the hands up it will not be included in the updater.

I have already looked into this so far and i have found the source code to display WoWI ads in it and have it working.

but i will not include WoWI if they choose they don't like it.

Basically what I'm trying to do is make an all in one updater that helps the site by including there ads in the updater.

Also if this go's well who know maybe we can run wowmatrix out ^^.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » wowint updater?