04-30-10, 02:36 PM   #1
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation Map of Azeroth (Announcement)

This project has been canceled. I don't want to work on something that i'm not interested in anymore.

Last edited by Tilteri : 08-02-10 at 08:43 AM.
04-30-10, 03:25 PM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Yeouch, red wall o' text against a dark gray background. If you want your post to be readable, use the default text colors and only use red text to highlight something of particular importance.
04-30-10, 03:49 PM   #3
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Tilteri View Post
I will need help with coding, and so i'm looking for people to help me, if you want to help, please PM me, and we can discuss it. I will need some very good coders.
Sorry, but it sounds like "I can't even make helloworld addon and need someone to do it for me."
04-30-10, 04:51 PM   #4
Sythalin
Curse staff

WoWMap
Carbonite

WoWTheme
nUI

By all means, I'm not telling you to try. Just be aware that what you are proposing is currently covered and "regularly" updated.

Note: I was going to try to put an internet browser in, but I'd have to figure out how to do that with blizzard's permission, and without using a .exe file. I might have to use regular browsers and make them work in-game, but I don't know.
This is impossible to do. I have high doubts that Blizz is going to change their policy, and code, to allow one addon to do this. It's a all-or-nothing deal.
04-30-10, 05:01 PM   #5
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thumbs up It's all covered!

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
Carbonite

nUI

By all means, I'm not telling you to try. Just be aware that what you are proposing is currently covered and "regularly" updated.

This is impossible to do. I have high doubts that Blizz is going to change their policy, and code, to allow one addon to do this. It's a all-or-nothing deal.
Umm... they don't cover all of it, and besides, the design will be completely different, and btw, Carbonite doesn't have mob locations does it? I didn't think so.
04-30-10, 05:02 PM   #6
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Umm... they don't cover all of it, and besides, the design will be completely different, and btw, Carbonite doesn't have mob locations does it? I didn't think so.
I think you would be better off writing a plugin for Carbonite.
04-30-10, 05:04 PM   #7
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Question Is that even allowed?

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
I think you would be better off writing a plugin for Carbonite.
Is that even allowed?
04-30-10, 05:08 PM   #8
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Is that even allowed?
Why wouldn't it? The policy of Blizzard says you can't copyright ur addons, cuz blizzard owns it all, so I think your free to code a plugin.
04-30-10, 06:53 PM   #9
Starinnia
Ninja Code Monkey
Why wouldn't it? The policy of Blizzard says you can't copyright ur addons, cuz blizzard owns it all, so I think your free to code a plugin.
Blizzard's Addon Policy says nothing about not copyrighting your code.

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.
4) Add-ons may not include advertisements.
5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
7) Add-ons must abide by World of Warcraft ToU and EULA.
8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
Those are the 8 rules authors must abide by. Nothing about no copyrights.
04-30-10, 06:55 PM   #10
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Offs nightcracker, you bloody well know better than that. Stop spreading misinformation and stirring up crap.

Tilteri - good luck with your addons, I look forward to seeing them.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-30-10 at 07:01 PM.
05-01-10, 07:54 AM   #11
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Offs nightcracker, you bloody well know better than that. Stop spreading misinformation and stirring up crap.

Tilteri - good luck with your addons, I look forward to seeing them.
Thanks.
05-01-10, 08:31 AM   #12
Sythalin
Curse staff

Is that even allowed?
There is no real reason why you couldn't. People design plugins for other projects all the time. As long as you aren't changing the addon, simply adding to it, there should be no issues. Prime example of this would be Atlas.
05-01-10, 08:52 AM   #13
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Sorry, but I doubt you will be able to code any of it if you don't even know that the UI is limited and thus you can't put something like a browser in it. You sort of sound like "I have ideas, please write the code for me thanks".
05-01-10, 09:12 AM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
There is no real reason why you couldn't. People design plugins for other projects all the time. As long as you aren't changing the addon, simply adding to it, there should be no issues. Prime example of this would be Atlas.
Also, if you want to be sure it is fine to do a plugin, talk to the original addon's owners themselves and see if they are ok with you offering a plugin for their addon.

I do plugins for nUI alot. In fact most of my addons are plugins for the interface. If you don't ask, you won't know.

Good luck with your project. Just remember, baby steps first. Start with the easier segments and build on it if you are new to lua. If it takes months to complete, then so be it. It is better to take your time and have less bugs than to rush it and have it all go wrong.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
05-01-10, 09:42 AM   #15
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Good luck with your project. Just remember, baby steps first. Start with the easier segments and build on it if you are new to lua. If it takes months to complete, then so be it. It is better to take your time and have less bugs than to rush it and have it all go wrong.
And even then you may still bang your head. CFM took me 4 months to write and I'd say another 2 after that to get everything working the way it should due to stupid little errors that were overlooked or not thought through enough.
05-01-10, 12:55 PM   #16
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thanks everybody!

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Also, if you want to be sure it is fine to do a plugin, talk to the original addon's owners themselves and see if they are ok with you offering a plugin for their addon.

I do plugins for nUI alot. In fact most of my addons are plugins for the interface. If you don't ask, you won't know.

I'm new to coding so yes... this may take me awhile, and i'm definetely not going to rush it, and i'll release it when possible, and when it's close to finished, i'll give an estimated release date that is subject to change at any time.

The only reason I would provide a release date is to give people an idea about it's release. I do know that when I have the ability to, i'll take some screenshots and show them to everyone.

Once I do get the screenshots and post them, everyone will probably be going like: "Omg! This is the best idea ever! How did he think of this?!" as i'm saving the best parts for those screenshots.

I didn't mention all of the features, only the parts that people are used to.

But... when I take a screenshot and post it, you'll all see how special this'll be... and this is special to me, as i'm dedicated to the community of my MMOs, and always will be.

I'm not going to let people down in my MMO community, especially not from an addon.

Oh, one last thing, I just got the TOC file updated but it still needs some work. And please, if you want to help, please ask, I currently have nobody helping and I really need the help.

Seriously... this is the longest process i've ever seen, with like a thousand files, little to no help, and the question on how i'm going to make this addon so that it doesn't cause lag.
05-01-10, 02:09 PM   #17
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Talking Hmmm...

I'm not going to create WoWFeature, and i'll move those things into their categories. Actually... I think I might add something... maybe some extra info on those addons.

EDIT: This means that they'll be totally seperate addon downloads that go together.
05-01-10, 02:37 PM   #18
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
No but MobMap does

Good luck with your addons ... I hope you succeed. But knowing nothing about LUA and programing is going to make this a very hard and long journey for you ... even with help.

Again Good luck.
05-02-10, 06:58 AM   #19
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

It's time...

It's time to start a day of development. I tested the TOC file and it works! WoW can read the addon. Remember, WoWFeature is plugin-enabled, so you can make plugins for it. Oh, and also, I'm going to be adding to the list of addon features. I had just thought of these features not too long ago.
05-02-10, 07:43 AM   #20
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I wish you the best, I will jump on using it and testing it for you, but that'll be as far as I'm able to help.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » WoWMap + WoWTheme Announced!