Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
11-05-10, 04:16 PM   #1
maltese
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What defines a "lightweight" addon

Recently I've been going through and making my UI as "lightweight" as possible. I started off primarily focusing on memory usage (not really a good thing to judge lightweightness by) and gradually shifted to taking CPU usage into account.

I've seen pretty amazing results in terms of playability inside raids (moderate FPS increases and noticeably less interface lag), but a nagging question keeps popping up in my head.

I've looked at tons of mods that state they are lightweight in their description and most are (some more than others). The ones I've noticed that used the least amount of resources are the ones that are configured through lua instead of an ingame config, but now that my UI is what I deem "lightweight" I've sort of lost a guide to measure what is actually efficient or not.

So I've got two questions:
#1: How much memory usage is to much? I've set my view distance up higher in the config file before and noticed the game crashing due to out of memory errors, obviously due to the game having to render more terrain than normal (I'm assuming). At what addon memory usage level does game stability start becoming an issue? Currently my normal UI is using ~780kb of memory and I'm sitting right around 3MB while in raids. Obviously my memory usage isn't an issue but I'd like to hear what some authors think is "too high".

#2: What exactly is CPU usage telling us and what is the number of CPU/sec used per addon that starts to get into the realm of inefficiency? As a reference, typically speaking sitting idle (not the best judge either), my highest usage addon is using ~0.16 CPU/sec with my total UI using ~0.7 CPU/sec (0.15 of that is option house totrack the data). What are some of the values that some of the notoriously inefficient addons giving?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » What defines a "lightweight" addon